ich problems

Dave Zale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind i,m relatively new to this...3 years going on 4.....this is my first outbreak of this at least in the saltwater area....i have no quartine tank....i dont drive so i,m sorta stuck there....i do have corals...i was going to try leaving the lights off, but after thinking about it my lights were off and i shouldnt do that to the corals. i do have some omega oil soaking there food...i was wondering if anybody has used and if so was it worth trying or even doing...i bring this up because it is coral safe. I,m hesistant of the soak...i have seen some of the results of this, and it pretty much shocked them dead, not to mention ive seen it done but would,nt have a clue on how to go about it. Any help would be great, cause i think i,m getting ick from stress lol...thnxs
Ecological Labs (Microbe-Lift) AEL20905 Herbtana Reef

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a few extra small tanks or even some 5 gallon buckets? If you do, then you can do Tank Transfer Method . Order any extras that you need online and have it delivered within a couple days. Things like : air pump, several air stones, two heaters and some pvc fittings for hiding spots. Buckets or even plastic totes will work fine for this, so you don't even need extra tanks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but that stuff doesn't work and you're lucky you've gotten this far without trouble. Velvet will really wreck your world and I hope that's not what you have

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet will really wreck your world and I hope that's not what you have

Good point. @Dave Zale can you post some pictures of what the fish look like? That way we can see if we can confirm ick or velvet for you.

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a huge problem with Marine ich. I am still currently treating my fish in a hospital take with the salinity at 1.009 so it's a hyposalinity tank and I used kordons rid ick plus and seem to work really well now I still have th m in hypo salinity probably for the next week to make sure it is gone you need them in a hospital tank to treat and observe and to run DT fallow for 60-72 days cause ick can't live in DT With out fish They don't survive with inverts I also ran Rally and kick ich in DT

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice white spots around mouth and gills it's ich if they turned white like my blue tang probably ick too. BLUE TANGS are known for ick

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good look at ick circled in red

17e9993eea5fb1fdcc79525b3424acb1.jpg

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a huge problem with Marine ich. I am still currently treating my fish in a hospital take with the salinity at 1.009 so it's a hyposalinity tank and I used kordons rid ick plus and seem to work really well now I still have th m in hypo salinity probably for the next week to make sure it is gone you need them in a hospital tank to treat and observe and to run DT fallow for 60-72 days cause ick can't live in DT With out fish They don't survive with inverts I also ran Rally and kick ich in DT

For your fish's safety, please don't dose any meds while treating in hyposalinity. Nearly all medications will have abnormal effects on fish in a lower salt environment. Hyposalinity in itself is very reliable so there is no need to medicate anyways. I would recommend bringing up the salinity slightly to 1.01-1.011 (some hardier fish won't care) as it will still get the job done but be safer on the fish. After about 2 weeks you should see nearly all signs of ich have vanished. (I would keep the fish in hypo 1 week after seeing 0 signs of ich to ensure its ich-free) Good luck!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back