ID from Gulf of Mexico live rock

Wanamaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what kind of crab this is and if it is reef safe?
1000016698.jpg

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20240223_030353872.jpg

This guy came in on my live rock from the Gulf as well. Looks similar to yours, but this one I believe is a male. Mine started out small, but grew very quickly. Small fish started going missing. I know he was eating snails as well because I was finding broken shells. I'd remove it and send it to the sump. That's where mine lives now.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This guy came in on my live rock from the Gulf as well. Looks similar to yours, but this one I believe is a male. Mine started out small, but grew very quickly. Small fish started going missing. I know he was eating snails as well because I was finding broken shells. I'd remove it and send it to the sump. That's where mine lives now.
That is a gorilla crab. Bad crab, you don't want it...

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a gorilla crab. Bad crab, you don't want it...

Definitely not. He's been banished to the sump where he will spend the remainder of his days. I do enjoy crabs and he's cool, so I didn't want to get rid of him, but he obviously can't stay in the tank.

I'm pretty sure he's still eating all the snails down in the sump. My trochus snails reproduce like mad, so it's no big deal.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your crab here is the Spineback Hairy Crab, Pilumnus sayi - not reef-safe.

OP, your crab does look to me like a Mithracid crab, possibly the Nodose Clinging Crab, Mithraculus coryphe - regardless, it's probably as reef-safe as an Emerald Crab.

OP
OP
W

Wanamaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your crab here is the Spineback Hairy Crab, Pilumnus sayi - not reef-safe.

OP, your crab does look to me like a Mithracid crab, possibly the Nodose Clinging Crab, Mithraculus coryphe - regardless, it's probably as reef-safe as an Emerald Crab.
Thank you, I hope you are correct because I returned him to the tank. There is another one in there identical to him, so fingers crossed. I have a rock in quarantine right now with what I am more certain is a bad crab, probably a gorilla crab. It is much fuzzier than the one I caught, and it has black-tipped claws. I'm trying to get him out, but I've had little luck so far. There is also a clicking noise coming from there. I know it could be a mantis or a pistol shrimp, but it seems like the noise is coming from the crab.

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I hope you are correct because I returned him to the tank. There is another one in there identical to him, so fingers crossed. I have a rock in quarantine right now with what I am more certain is a bad crab, probably a gorilla crab. It is much fuzzier than the one I caught, and it has black-tipped claws. I'm trying to get him out, but I've had little luck so far. There is also a clicking noise coming from there. I know it could be a mantis or a pistol shrimp, but it seems like the noise is coming from the crab.
I agree with the consensus that its a red mithrax, the TBS rock I received had several similar and they stayed relatively small for a mithrax crab. Also got some red "emerald" crabs which grew huge!

I havent heard of gorilla crabs clicking loudly like a mantis/pistol, i'd imagine you have a small pistol shrimp in there, alpheus heterochaelis if I were to guess. I had to skewer the gorilla crabs out of the rocks to get them out eventually, they are persistent buggers.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock in quarantine right now with what I am more certain is a bad crab, probably a gorilla crab. It is much fuzzier than the one I caught, and it has black-tipped claws. I'm trying to get him out, but I've had little luck so far. There is also a clicking noise coming from there. I know it could be a mantis or a pistol shrimp, but it seems like the noise is coming from the crab.
Yeah, black-tipped claws are usually an indication you don't want them in your tank. As was mentioned above, the clicking is probably a pistol shrimp (though it could potentially be a mantis too).

Also, I'm a bit late by now, but welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
W

Wanamaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, black-tipped claws are usually an indication you don't want them in your tank. As was mentioned above, the clicking is probably a pistol shrimp (though it could potentially be a mantis too).

Also, I'm a bit late by now, but welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you for the input and the welcome! I already pulled out one mantis shrimp that was in a different rock. I'm hoping it isn't another.

I just caught the bigger crab I saw in the rock, and a little one came out too. These two look quite different than the one in my first post. These have the defined black claws, unlike the first one.

Now, I'm not sure what to do with them since I have a Red Sea Max Nano XL AIO and not a dedicated sump. I'd feel bad killing them, but can I drop them in the back of my AIO without risk of escaping into the main tank?

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_154257024.jpg
    PXL_20240428_154257024.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240428_154250630.jpg
    PXL_20240428_154250630.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240428_153155937.jpg
    PXL_20240428_153155937.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input and the welcome! I already pulled out one mantis shrimp that was in a different rock. I'm hoping it isn't another.

I just caught the bigger crab I saw in the rock, and a little one came out too. These two look quite different than the one in my first post. These have the defined black claws, unlike the first one.

Now, I'm not sure what to do with them since I have a Red Sea Max Nano XL AIO and not a dedicated sump. I'd feel bad killing them, but can I drop them in the back of my AIO without risk of escaping into the main tank?
I am gonna say no, you don't want them in the back of your AIO. I understand that you feel bad about euthanasia. Not an easy decision. In my book, do your best to make it quick.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those aren't ones you want in your tank. If for no other reason than it would probably be too small in the future, I probably wouldn't drop in the back of an AIO (setting escaping aside, I've heard of some crabs doing damage to electrical wires, so you don't want them somewhere they could reach important things).

Personally, I'd see if you can give them to a local hobbyist or fish store (some people like to use crabs like these are food for their predators), or see about setting up a "sin-bin" hitchhiker tank - if neither of those work for you, then yeah, euthanasia is about the only other option; I know clove oil is suggested for fish, but I don't recall if it's effective for inverts too at the moment. Like jabberwock said, aim for quick and painless.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back