ID sea hare with shell?

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help ID with hitchhiker that came in on red "fireball" macroalgae from Florida and showed up in QT after about a week. At first glance I thought it was a Stomatella snail because it is mostly bare and slug-like, but it definitely has a small thin shell that sits up like a bump towards its tail end. It isn't a snail at all because it lacks tentacles (stalked eyes) and has no ventrally directed mouth. It has a delineated "head shield" that is markedly separate anteriorly from a lower extension of what I interpret as part of the foot. Together, the two look like lips that are fairly constantly "gulping". The mouth appears to be between the lips, facing anteriorly. There are two well developed black eye spots surrounded by an unpigmented region. The entire rest of the body is covered with pigment spots. Overall, it is about 12 mm (1/2 inch) long, 3-4 mm wide, equally tall anteriorly, taller at the shell posteriorly, and with a flat beaver-like tail end. It's not a flatworm because apart from the vey tail end it is not flat. Kind of cute and creepy all at the same time.
IMG_1358a.JPG IMG_1359a.JPG IMG_1363a.JPG IMG_1364a.JPG IMG_1365a.JPG IMG_1367a.JPG IMG_1371a.JPG IMG_1382a.JPG IMG_1407a.JPG IMG_1414a.JPG

OP
OP
P

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, I found it: Haminoea sp. Perhaps not from Florida at all because it more closely resembles some West coast (of North America) species like H. vesicula than it does H. antillarum. My guy might be a youngster. Some species that have been studied have narrow diets of cyanobacteria, diatoms, algal detritus, and foraminifera, but the following table was published by Malaquias et al. For the most part, this guy appears to be reef safe. I might keep him ... maybe in QT.

Review-of-the-diet-in-the-family-Haminoeidae.png

Malaquias, Manuel & Condinho , Silvia & Cervera, Juan Lucas & Sprung , Martin . (2004). Diet and feeding biology of Haminoea orbygniana (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Cephalaspidea). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK. 84. 767 - 772

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back