ideas for hood with doors and piano hinge openings

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to make a new hood for my aquarium. Looking for some inspiration of hoods that maybe have a piano hinge as well as a feeding doors in the front.
Right now my hood is low profile and only has the piano hinge which is a pain to open and close so I always leave it open which the wife hates.
Thanks

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to make a new hood for my aquarium. Looking for some inspiration of hoods that maybe have a piano hinge as well as a feeding doors in the front.
Right now my hood is low profile and only has the piano hinge which is a pain to open and close so I always leave it open which the wife hates.
Thanks
Sorry @lacrosseboss18 my hood doesn’t fit the bill. But I do have a “lower profile” hood, and learned a few things.

1. Keep in mind the lower the profile on your hood, the closer your lights will be to the water surface. So you won’t get as much spread and stronger hot spots.

2. To keep my hood open I have two braces that I have to pivot up each time. Im going to change this to gas springs.

3. A simple feeding door is a must. Right now I have to open my hood each time I feed. Sorry — I haven’t gotten to the auto feeder to the return pump hack. Plus I feed frozen.

Good luck!

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my hoods super low right now so I have light current lights turned way way down. I have so many and close together to help compensate.

my current hood has a piano hinge and right now I just completely flip it up and that’s how it is always. I tried to install gas springs but for some reason I couldn’t get it to work.

I too feed frozen but have the avast plank which I’m going to install one day in the sump. I’m planning on switching out my return pump for 2 separate ones so also one day...

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my hoods super low right now so I have light current lights turned way way down. I have so many and close together to help compensate.

my current hood has a piano hinge and right now I just completely flip it up and that’s how it is always. I tried to install gas springs but for some reason I couldn’t get it to work.

I too feed frozen but have the avast plank which I’m going to install one day in the sump. I’m planning on switching out my return pump for 2 separate ones so also one day...
I’m tinkering with gas springs right now and even built a “test hood” of what I think is the weight and torque. I think I’m on my third set of gas springs trying to get this right.

My other next project is reworking the heaters and Apex combo. Of course I’m also mid way on hacking my Klir as well.

So I get it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back