If you could go back and tell your reef newbie self something, what would it be?

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just because it seems like someone should know what they are talking about, doesnt mean they do. :confused-face: beware of the arrogant, belittling attitude. its ok to ask questions. if someone treats:) you like an idiot, walk away. there are plenty of helpful people out there. like here!

Magok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I would like to hear this story! I had asked a few weeks back on if people QT a CUC. I don't hear much about QT except with fish. Care to elaborate?
Around the 10th of May I added corals and Cuc directly to the DT, corals dipped, snails acclimated only and in they went (probably that was the mistake since I saw the snails was in Display with fish).
5 days later fish stopped eating later that night every fish was breathing fast and hiding. 24 hours later since nothing improved I decided not to take chances and transfer them to hospital tank. After one round of praziquantel fish started to look bette, now they are eating and breathing normally.
Upon reflecting what happened, either something came along with cuc or the drops that went in the display when I moved the snails in. Maybe it was just coincidence but since I have space for QT I dont wanna risk it and the effort to pull the rocks and corals to catch all fish. And my DT is still fallow which is so sad to look at...

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Okay, here are the lottery numbers and stock to get, now you'll be able to actually afford all the reef supplies you need! MAUHAHAHAHAHAHAhhaahahHAAHAHahaHAAhaHAHAAhahahaAHAHaAHAhaahAHAHA"

:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
daffy-duck-writting-notes.gif

If you think you have it all figured out, you don't. Study some more!

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the noob stage, but my advice would be this:

When things seem to be going awry in your tank, don't put all your hope and trust into test kits. Take a look in the tank and realize that your nitrates ARE NOT ZERO if you have a decent green hair algae bloom happening. Learning this lesson as I type this. :upside-down-face:

rdirtytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a refractometer for checking salinity, make sure it's calibrated with the proper solution. 3 weeks of wrong calibration set me back 3 months. 1.025 was actually 1.017. Oops.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a refractometer for checking salinity, make sure it's calibrated with the proper solution. 3 weeks of wrong calibration set me back 3 months. 1.025 was actually 1.017. Oops.
Not me frantically calibrating my refractometer and rechecking my salinity after reading your comment. :face-with-tears-of-joy: All is well...with salinity as least.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hear about how you acquired this revelation. By the tone of your response, it sounds like it would be interesting. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

What @Biokabe said
As an add-on to this:

You CAN become a carpenter. But - make sure you win the lottery twice, because wood and tools are just as expensive as tanks and corals.

In other words: If you think you're going to save money by making your own stand, you might. If you build 9 more stands to break even first.

I sold enterprise software for awhile, one of my at the ready jokes especially when discussing my DIYing was "I only recently discovered you don't use a hammer with screws." In all honesty it's not THAT hard to FRAME up a stand for a 40br, and this software-selling-idiot has done it, but the devil is in the details and Home Depot 2x4s don't look very good. So instead of staring at a nice FOWLR you get a daily dose of scathing humility with half-stands everywhere and nothing skinned or stained, and eventually you admit defeat far later than was necessary and consolidate tanks with a professionally made stand.

Reef-Rookie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of advice, or a lesson along the way... If you had the opportunity to go back in time with the reefing knowledge that you have today, what would you tell your newbie (or noob-y..) self?

I'm curious to hear your experiences!

Nft Noob GIF by Digital Pratik
I would tell myself to get the biggest tank I could possibly fit in the space that I want to keep it. I would also get a list of all the equipment I would need to run it in the long term and start piecing it together. Take it slow and don't take any short cuts. This is a long term hobby! No half measures.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get on this forum before ever starting the tank to make sure my base knowledge is up to par. Test kits for everything wouldn't be a bad idea either

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tell my reef noob self to get a better job, stop hanging around with dangerous people and get the best acrylic flat you can afford.

He would not listen, so I don’t know what good can come of this situation if it could happen. :thinking-face: :cool:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Biokabe said

I sold enterprise software for awhile, one of my at the ready jokes especially when discussing my DIYing was "I only recently discovered you don't use a hammer with screws." In all honesty it's not THAT hard to FRAME up a stand for a 40br, and this software-selling-idiot has done it, but the devil is in the details and Home Depot 2x4s don't look very good. So instead of staring at a nice FOWLR you get a daily dose of scathing humility with half-stands everywhere and nothing skinned or stained, and eventually you admit defeat far later than was necessary and consolidate tanks with a professionally made stand.

Or you go the other way and spend several thousand dollars on a table saw, a router table, a thickness planer, three different sanders, half a dozen different clamping jigs, and so, so many clamps. Not to mention the trim router, the plunge router, the regular router, three different drills, chisels... all so that you can make a cabinet that looks half-decent to hide your water change set-up and one of your ATOs.

Cost-effective? No, not really. But in the end I'm almost satisfied with it.

1717431782389.png

Next time I get a new tank, I might actually try my hand at a stand.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 51 41.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 8.1%
Back