If you had to do a reef aquarium with just one coral...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would have to go with millies. They're my favorite type of SPS and add a lot of movement and coloration and structure.

I love zoas, but as a zoa only tank, it wouldn't be too visually appealing other than to zoa collectors/enthusiast.

All millie tank and then a poo poo ton of anemone varieties (since 'nems are inverts technically, heehee). Would make for a great display! Out of the box thinking gives me the best of both worlds! The amount of movement going on in the tank would be amazing. :)

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the talks I give about aquascaping, I challenge hobbyists to do an aquarium with an all- Ricordea bottom! How cool would that be? But darned expensive! Hmm...let's see if we can make Ricordea more affordable so someone can try this! Another thing to work on!

This is genious... I think I might attempt this.

Ostentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the talks I give about aquascaping, I challenge hobbyists to do an aquarium with an all- Ricordea bottom! How cool would that be? But darned expensive! Hmm...let's see if we can make Ricordea more affordable so someone can try this! Another thing to work on!

John Coppolino on one of the other sites did this. I was actually thinking of going that route, but to fill a 250g with an 84"x30" footprint would probably cost me a small fortune even at wholesale pricing.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think SPS make really sweet species tanks as many have said.

A tank of all porites and feather worms would be awesome but it seems fairly hard to find colorful porites colonies in the hobby.

I like the all clam tank idea too!

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the way you think!!!

NPS corals.. anyone..

If I didn't travel all the time for work, I would definitely have a NPS tank. I just don't want to pony up the cash to automate such a high nutrient style tank. Plus more than 1 automated tank gets expensive.

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey scott are we talking 1 coral (like 1 colony), or are we talking 1 species? i think if i could only have 1 colony i'd just sell my tank... but if were talking 1 species, i'd say acros....

Good thing we have scott here so we dont have to choose just one right?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to know a guy who did this and it was awesome. Last I heard he was dieing of cancer and had donated all his tanks away.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey scott are we talking 1 coral (like 1 colony), or are we talking 1 species? i think if i could only have 1 colony i'd just sell my tank... but if were talking 1 species, i'd say acros....

Good thing we have scott here so we dont have to choose just one right?

I'm saying just one species...Maybe multiple color morphs of the same species!

Scott

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would have to go with millies. They're my favorite type of SPS and add a lot of movement and coloration and structure.

I love zoas, but as a zoa only tank, it wouldn't be too visually appealing other than to zoa collectors/enthusiast.

All millie tank and then a poo poo ton of anemone varieties (since 'nems are inverts technically, heehee). Would make for a great display! Out of the box thinking gives me the best of both worlds! The amount of movement going on in the tank would be amazing. :)

If you're looking for loopholes you might as well go all out and throw some zoanthids in there since they aren't a coral either :)

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody even mentions montis. That's where I would go, so many different growth structures, plus with encrusting you can make them take on any shape you want.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be Montipora species, the different types like undata and capricornis with all the different AMAZING color morphs and shapes would keep me happy for a single species only tank

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do fruit loop zoanthids on a long tank with lights going width ways rather than long ways and have every different spectrum bulb i can find, all on timers to simulate time. I would rotate the fixture every 6 months.

These zoanthids in my tank have morphed every time i change the light, so in this setup would have a variation as well, and would look like skittles

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back