inkbird alternatives due to false alerts

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Inkbird WIFI started to throw notifications and alerts for high temp warnings at random times at night via it's app (I couldn't hear if it was physically sounding it's alarm), even though on the timeline, at the exact time of the alert, my temp shows normal 78.8 and below the 80 warning level. It's set to turn on at 77 and off at 78 and warn at 80. Plus it is 65 degrees in my house at night these days and our heat hasn't turned on yet, so it's impossible that my tank would be hotter than 78 unless the Inkbird was mis-reporting and sending the warnings erroneously or if it wasn't turning off as it should and allowing to be 80 but the timeline isn't correct or it only registers at a specific interval on the timeline.

It's only been in use for a year, but either way I need to find an alternative or get a new Inkbird. That isn't instilling confidence it in however! I don't want to spend a ton (I could get a hydros etc...) but I was wondering if there are any wifi/smart enabled alternatives? I currently have two separate heaters with their own controllers plugged into the inkbird for redundancy. I just purchased a dual Helios to plug in to whatever I get. If there's any reasonable alternative that isn't 400 or 500 dollars I'd be interested to hear about it. I want it to be WIFI enabled to get temp warnings. Otherwise I might as well just get a Hydros.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are junk.............. if you already have the Helios controller that's all you need. If you want dual redundancy use a heater brand that has a controller as well.

Rancos are #1........mine are going on 23 and 10 years on two separate systems without failure or replacement.

There is no need for WIFI............a heater controller is set and forget. Reliability and performance is what's important.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Inkbird WIFI started to throw notifications and alerts for high temp warnings at random times at night via it's app (I couldn't hear if it was physically sounding it's alarm), even though on the timeline, at the exact time of the alert, my temp shows normal 78.8 and below the 80 warning level. It's set to turn on at 77 and off at 78 and warn at 80. Plus it is 65 degrees in my house at night these days and our heat hasn't turned on yet, so it's impossible that my tank would be hotter than 78 unless the Inkbird was mis-reporting and sending the warnings erroneously or if it wasn't turning off as it should and allowing to be 80 but the timeline isn't correct or it only registers at a specific interval on the timeline.

It's only been in use for a year, but either way I need to find an alternative or get a new Inkbird. That isn't instilling confidence it in however! I don't want to spend a ton (I could get a hydros etc...) but I was wondering if there are any wifi/smart enabled alternatives? I currently have two separate heaters with their own controllers plugged into the inkbird for redundancy. I just purchased a dual Helios to plug in to whatever I get. If there's any reasonable alternative that isn't 400 or 500 dollars I'd be interested to hear about it. I want it to be WIFI enabled to get temp warnings. Otherwise I might as well just get a Hydros.
I've used quite a few Inkbirds with no issues, however I did once have one that kept occasionally sending an alarm.

I contacted Inkbird and they sent a replacement within days of me sending a few photos.

You may want to try sending them an email.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a inkbird. First one. The other night an alarm woke me up. Temp was low but within range of the Inkbird (set at 77-78) that's on the apex eb outlet I have it plugged into (shuts off oulet at 80). Both heaters (with thier own controllers) were off. I'm like... What the... Half asleep still... Turns out it was a continuous heating alarm. Saw the heaters on for 6 hrs and shut em down. I've since upped it to 8 hrs but also replaced one of my heaters with a better/bigger one and also turned the heat on in the house (first heater) to make the gap for the heaters smaller. Been good since. Pia balancing act right now w the weather I think. Anyway, not sure it helps but I figured I'd share since I just got one of these. Good luck!

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used quite a few Inkbirds with no issues, however I did once have one that kept occasionally sending an alarm.

I contacted Inkbird and they sent a replacement within days of me sending a few photos.

You may want to try sending them an email.
I emailed them and they said it is past a year old so they can't replace it. Offered 15% off their price which isn't really a discount. Oh well...guess it's either a new one or a Hydros. BRS says replace the Inkbird every year anyway so I guess that's what I'll do.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them and they said it is past a year old so they can't replace it. Offered 15% off their price which isn't really a discount. Oh well...guess it's either a new one or a Hydros. BRS says replace the Inkbird every year anyway so I guess that's what I'll do.
It's a good idea to replace the heater every year too.
Cheap insurance

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS would say that, so you keep buying more for no reason.
I've had my inkbird heater controllers for 2+ years with no issue other than having to reload the app after a power outage.

they have great products

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plug my Inkbird into my Hydros XP8. Or put another way, I'd recommend one layer of redundancy even with Hydros (heater with its own bimetallic thermostat or a controller like Inkbird or Helios).

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rancos are #1........mine are going on 23 and 10 years on two separate systems without failure or replacement.
I opened the thread to see if someone is going to suggest a Ranco controller. Pulled mine out of the shed & still works like the day I got it 15+ years ago.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plug my Inkbird into my Hydros XP8. Or put another way, I'd recommend one layer of redundancy even with Hydros (heater with its own bimetallic thermostat or a controller like Inkbird or Helios).
I have two layers for redundancy. My heaters themselves each have their own controller and then the inkbird. Currently the inkbird controls the heaters and then the heaters' controllers will shut them off if the inkbird fails. I just got a Helio which also has its own controller so I'm going to reverse that and have the Helios control to 78 and either an inkbird or Hydros turn off if it hits 80.

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I personally would not use the power strip of hydros to switch on an off a heater. Now I would plug a Ranco into the hydros and use it a a redundant backup. Ranco, its an ugly grey commercial box that is wonderful.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS would say that, so you keep buying more for no reason.
I've had my inkbird heater controllers for 2+ years with no issue other than having to reload the app after a power outage.

they have great products
I guess that could be true to some degree but their point is for $50 it's good to change something often that can be the most likely catastrophic event for the tank. I agree it's more for the heaters but they do say for the inkbird too. In my case after a year it's malfunctioning so I have no choice.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back