Instant Ocean deal

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHewy’shas buy 3 get 1 free. Just got 4 boxes (200g/ea.) for 162 before tax. Incredible price. Bought the 4 boxes than also signed up for auto ship for additional discount. I dont recall the last time I paid 40.50 a box before tax. Hurry as it’s a limited time offer and if you don't have need or cash for so much salt at once, its worth teaming up with fellow hobbyist friends.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that just a 5 minute deal? Only thing showing is just a sale price with no buy 3 get 1 offer…..

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing that. The only deal I'm seeing is a discount from an inflated price to a regular(ish) price. A 200g box of Reef Crystals is on sale for $70 instead of the "normal" $100.

That same box is currently (and appears to be regularly) $70 at Petco.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is getting so expensive that it's equal in price for me to rent a container truck and drive 700 miles to fill up with Gulf of Mexico saltwater

season 7 greasy buffoons GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing that. The only deal I'm seeing is a discount from an inflated price to a regular(ish) price. A 200g box of Reef Crystals is on sale for $70 instead of the "normal" $100.

That same box is currently (and appears to be regularly) $70 at Petco.
Same I didn't see that ether, must be regional thing

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same I didn't see that ether, must be regional thing
At least I'm okay with not getting the deal. My LFS usually has it for about $65. A box lasts me 1-2 months or so. So, I'd be looking at saving $80 over the course of 6 months.
That's a significant savings to be sure, but I couldn't quite justify it.
Also, I wasn't looking forward to moving 4 boxes of salt from my front porch to my basement. I already end up with the single box I buy at the LFS in my car for a few days because I don't feel like moving it.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went on Chewy site and the deal is still there. I bough regular IO which has always worked fine for me but I see crystals has same deal. Remember that also signed up for repeat deliveries and got additional discount. Good luck as i know the deal is for limited time only.

IMG_2247.png IMG_2246.png

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a Florida deal. Maybe they figure you can get NSW so they have to make the price attractive. :) Here it’s a steal at $70. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a Florida deal. Maybe they figure you can get NSW so they have to make the price attractive. :) Here it’s a steal at $70. :face-with-rolling-eyes:
First time I’ve seen 4 for price of 3. If had storage room would buy some more. Well There’s at least one advantage of living in Florida!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE UPDATE

If you just use the PromoCode SPECIALPETS ...the deal gets applied even though it doesn't appear anywhere.

I bought four 200g boxes for $183ish with free shipping .... that equates to roughly $45ish a box

Thank you @Flame2hawk for saving me from buying $70 a box at my LFS

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly don’t understand why you would use any salt brand besides IO. I never hear about issues and it’s cheap and always available. These top brands out there are always having supply and sometimes quality issues.
I agree completely, the price hike recently made me give aqua forest a try as the 200g bag from brs is within a few bucks of buying purple IO from chewy/petsmart/petco. I always stuck with IO as its the ubiquitous salt, its everywhere and is always around as you said.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADDITIONAL UPDATE

The deal does show up if you are SIGNED IN on your Chewy account. if you are just viewing as a Guest, it does not appear.

Either way the PromoCode SPECIALPETS does work

Such a great deal that I bought EIGHT boxes! Lolololol. My delivery driver is going to HATE me

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely, the price hike recently made me give aqua forest a try as the 200g bag from brs is within a few bucks of buying purple IO from chewy/petsmart/petco. I always stuck with IO as its the ubiquitous salt, its everywhere and is always around as you said.
I use to use Fritz RPM for 10 yrs but the stuff is like $80/box now :astonished-face:

That's like Tropic Marin pricing of old, lol.

I now use regular Instant Ocean and I dose tiny amounts of Red Sea Colors A, B C, D plus Magnesium

I figure with regular IO I'm saving like 30-40% a box.... plus micro dosing Red Sea Colors I'm giving corals constant supply of fresh nutrient elements

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to use Fritz RPM for 10 yrs but the stuff is like $80/box now .

That's like Tropic Marin pricing of old, lol.

I now use regular Instant Ocean and I dose tiny amount of Red Sea Colors A, B C, D plus Magnesium

I figure with regular IO I'm saving like 30-40% a box.... plus micro dosing Red Sea Colors I'm giving corals constant supply of fresh nutrient elements
Agreed on all counts, was using IO purple and dosing as needed and was doing perfect. Now my cheapness is shining, its time to check options.

I Miss 50g bags of IO purple being 3 for 20$ from my lfs.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on all counts, was using IO purple and dosing as needed and was doing perfect. Now my cheapness is shining, its time to check options.

I Miss 50g bags of IO purple being 3 for 20$ from my lfs.
Use to be....

That LFS owners would bring in skids of salt and sell them only.making like $2 in profit a box/bucket

They did this to ENTICE the customers to come in when they were out of salt and then have them walk out with salt AND $300 worth if coral/fish they weren't planning on buying. Lolololol

Nowadays.... LFS just take a much bigger profit margin....

EVERYTHING is marked up, no loss-leader items to entice a store visit.

LFS would charge for parking if they could... lolololol.... poor guys trying to compete in an online world, crazy

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to be....

That LFS owners would bring in skids of salt and sell them only.making like $2 in profit a box/bucket

They did this to ENTICE the customers to come in when they were out of salt and then have them walk out with salt AND $300 worth if coral/fish they weren't planning on buying. Lolololol

Nowadays.... LFS just take a much bigger profit margin....

EVERYTHING is marked up, no loss-leader items to entice a store visit.

LFS would charge for parking if they could... lolololol.... poor guys trying to compete in an online world, crazy

Bless them for fighting with the amazon generation. Also here in the L.A. market the LFS fights with each other for a frankly shrinking customer base. I make a visit to my store about once a month for consumables and foot traffic is definitely down, and I visit one of the larger/more popular stores in the area.

I agree with them just upping prices to increase the margins, which now sends me online to buy. Outside of frozen and livestock, its all showing up at my door via some form of shipping.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bless them for fighting with the amazon generation. Also here in the L.A. market the LFS fights with each other for a frankly shrinking customer base. I make a visit to my store about once a month for consumables and foot traffic is definitely down, and I visit one of the larger/more popular stores in the area.

I agree with them just upping prices to increase the margins, which now sends me online to buy. Outside of frozen and livestock, its all showing up at my door via some form of shipping.
I've even been buying frozen online. I just buy enough to eat the shipping $29.99 as compared to driving out to the lfs. Still save money that way. I have a separate freezer just for frozen though. Don't want my whiskey ice tasting like fish.. As a small business owner I definitely feel the pinch and constantly have to adjust to compete. I just don't see any lfs really trying to do that on anything. In most cases they are they're own worst enemy by relying on old loyal customers to keep them in business instead of trying to compete in a changing market that's leaving them behind.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE UPDATE

If you just use the PromoCode SPECIALPETS ...the deal gets applied even though it doesn't appear anywhere.

I bought four 200g boxes for $183ish with free shipping .... that equates to roughly $45ish a box

Thank you @Flame2hawk for saving me from buying $70 a box at my LFS
YOUR WELCOME!! SO GLAD IT WORKS FOR ALL. YES PERHAPS I FORGOT TO MENTION YOU MUST LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back