Invert Spotlight: Conch

JoshuaRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these snails, however I have a very thin sand bed, about half an inch. Do you guys think they would survive in my tank, or do they have to have a deep sand bed?

Diego.28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these snails, however I have a very thin sand bed, about half an inch. Do you guys think they would survive in my tank, or do they have to have a deep sand bed?
They could probably survive just fine with only half an inch, as long as they are getting enough to eat. But as we all know in this hobby there is a difference between surviving and thriving. That may not be enough sand for the snail to really "thrive". But truthfully, I'm just speculating, based on how much mine loves to burrow, and the little info I've been able to find. Like I said last time I posted in this thread, info on these guys is scarce. You could give it a try I suppose, but I don't know if that's enough sand.

Rglad91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine. It’s hard to see but the one on the left is sticking something into the other one in this picture. When I first added them I put them on opposite sides of tank and once they found each other they pretty much haven’t left each other’s side it seems
4A67F930-1900-4F50-84B9-759E7BFCA6D4.jpeg

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fighting conch is still very much alive, he responds with his eye stalks, but hasn't moved from his location in months. Is he just dormant/hibernating or is he on his way out?

Burnometer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do conch snails leave turd pellets on top of the sand bed? Mine has been eating my diatoms but I think it leaves a pellet trail.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of corals attached to rocks, will they knock those over or do they mainly stay in the sand bed?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of corals attached to rocks, will they knock those over or do they mainly stay in the sand bed?
Mine hasn't. I don't recall it ever knocking over frags in the sand bed, either. I have other critters that do that!

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good on the conch... Mexican turbo snails on the other hand? They're the bulldozers of the reef world.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good on the conch... Mexican turbo snails on the other hand? They're the bulldozers of the reef world.

Yeah, ive got two of those, i moved one to my refugium, thinking about doing the same for the other.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a tiger conch. My Halloween hermit seems to be pretty interested in eating the conch though. Can the conch defend itself?

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a small black conch in my display and wondering what kind it is will get a pic when lights come one.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my tiger conch! Have had him just about as long as I’ve had the tank. Does anyone know about how long they live?

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he’s done great... but recently he’s missing his little trunk!... anyone know why?...

jgallone1801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tiger Sand Conch in a 29 and it's doing well. I do supplement with nori at least twice a week (just attach to some rock rubble with a rubber band) and within a short amount of time he's chowing down on it. I've tried dropping in algae wafers but they always seem to just get blown around and I never know where they end up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back