IO REEF CRYSTALS vs. RED SEA CORAL PRO - Which is better and why?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe what you want about salts, but anybody who says that anything is cheaper than IO is self-serving - BRS was self serving in these videos. People seem to want to make what they want to make about other people's salt claims, but everybody ought to be able to do math.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious anyone's opinion on the fact RSCP is actually from the ocean? Does that mean anything?

Not really. No product is just dried seawater, despite possible claims to the contrary. Dried seawater will not redissolve to reform seawater.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used all types of salt, but I have firmly stuck with Red Sea blue bucket, mostly because I run my alk at 8 since I mostly keep Acros and other SPS. I have never had any issues with it. That being said the only thing I did not like about IO was the particulates, but it has been blue bucket now for about 3 years.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is just nothing appealing about either of these salts and I’ll extend that even further to any IO or Red Sea salt. IO Purple, Reef Crystals, Red Sea Blue or Red Sea Coral Pro (black bucket.)

If price is your only priority, I found Aqua Forest salt for cheaper than IO Purple a couple months ago and grabbed three boxes of it. In the race to the bottom, you just find out there is no bottom.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone chiming in and your suggestions. I just stuck with IO again as there was a black friday sale and it was $55 for 160gallon bucket. I have heard good things of Fritz before also. I have never heard of Aqua Forest salt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back