Iodine dosing for Zoanthids

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does an icp test give a daily dosing amount unless you do tests on multiple days in a row while you dose?

It just gives a one time correction dose. Whether that is needed daily, weekly, monthly, or hourly can only be determined by multiple tests.
It's a suggestion they provide to get levels back to some arbitrary level. Ie my last icp suggested 1 off dose 1ml with daily dose of .1ml Using their products;)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that ICP can't tell the difference between the iodide ion and any molecule or compound containing iodine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a suggestion they provide to get levels back to some arbitrary level. Ie my last icp suggested 1 off dose 1ml with daily dose of .1ml Using their products;)

Yes, I agree that is what they provide, which is not a daily dosing amount. It is a one time correction.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is get an ATI ICP about every 4 months. They seem to be very accurate. At first ICP I saw what my current levels were compared to recommended amount. Then I dosed the proper amount per instructions on the seachem iodide bottle. 2nd ICP I saw the new level and stopped dosing completely. 3rd ICP I noted how much it went down and divided it by weeks in between since I do weekly water changes. Now I just add that amount every water change. For my system I did see a pretty big result from going from very low levels of iodine to recommended amounts. The colors of my zoas didn't change but they went from slowly melting to growing more polyps.

Something worth noting is that for my 200g system the amount to dose is VERY SMALL. About 2ml per week. So with that in mind it's good to be extra cautious as to not overdose.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would be a reliable iodine test kit? My ICP test from a couple weeks ago showed 5.84ppb and I don’t want to dose anything I can’t test for either.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two drops of Lugol’s twice a week. My zoa garden is growing like crazy. Not sure if there is a color difference or not but I like what I see. Would there be a difference if I stopped doing that small amount idk but I’m not changing something that is not broken. Just a fyi.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a reliable iodine test kit? My ICP test from a couple weeks ago showed 5.84ppb and I don’t want to dose anything I can’t test for either.
I bought salifert. Best? No idea. Testing still showing depleted even after dosing but as stated above. Iodine is used quickly by animals

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought salifert. Best? No idea. Testing still showing depleted even after dosing but as stated above. Iodine is used quickly by animals
I’m a big fan of salifert and since they have not steered me wrong yet, maybe I’ll give that one a try!

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two drops of Lugol’s twice a week. My zoa garden is growing like crazy. Not sure if there is a color difference or not but I like what I see. Would there be a difference if I stopped doing that small amount idk but I’m not changing something that is not broken. Just a fyi.
how may gallons is your tank?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is get an ATI ICP about every 4 months. They seem to be very accurate. At first ICP I saw what my current levels were compared to recommended amount. Then I dosed the proper amount per instructions on the seachem iodide bottle. 2nd ICP I saw the new level and stopped dosing completely. 3rd ICP I noted how much it went down and divided it by weeks in between since I do weekly water changes. Now I just add that amount every water change. For my system I did see a pretty big result from going from very low levels of iodine to recommended amounts. The colors of my zoas didn't change but they went from slowly melting to growing more polyps.

Something worth noting is that for my 200g system the amount to dose is VERY SMALL. About 2ml per week. So with that in mind it's good to be extra cautious as to not overdose.
That is brilliant! I think I am going to follow your plan! I have invested in highend zoas 2 times now. Long story as to how I lost all of them but this time around I am having some melting away! Mainly in one of my tanks! I did have some alk swings because of I believe a bad reading when I tested my new batch of water change, so I added more alk! Got to high! I have learned now to double check an odd reading! lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back