Iron consumption in SPS tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't say that. :D

But iron rapidly depletes (so typically does not accumulate between doses), and even levels far in excess of natural levels do not seem to cause issues (except perhaps in cases where iron is a limiting factor for growth of a pest such as algae). :)

So dosing without measuring is generally fine if you use reasonable doses.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was this guy, Reefer named Robert Buck. Do you know him? He ran this saltwater group called Robert Buck's Reefriends. He advocated that whenever he accidentally cut his finger, he would drip his blood over the tank for a few minutes before the bleeding stopped.... He said it related to more polyp extension and happier corals feeding...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was this guy, Reefer named Robert Buck. Do you know him? He ran this saltwater group called Robert Buck's Reefriends. He advocated that whenever he accidentally cut his finger, he would drip his blood over the tank for a few minutes before the bleeding stopped.... He said it related to more polyp extension and happier corals feeding...

It doesn't particularly surprise me, but it sounds like a rough way to supplement/feed a tank. :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty gross to me.

What effects would be seen on acroporas with an iron deficiency? Would it be obvious?

Some people say green corals are muted, but I'm skeptical that one can correlate specific color issues to specific elements.

FWIW, I would not assume the coral response noted above is due to iron, but perhaps to cells (blood cells), that it detects and may want to eat. The iron is not floating around loose in blood.

That said, iron dosing is a very easy DIY and you can look for favorable responses or not.
Here's a DIY:

http://www.cvs.com/drug/fergon/oral-tablet/27mg

Take 1 tablet and dissolve in 100 mL RO/DI (overnight soak). Let the solids settle out and use the liquid. Then I dose about 1-5 mL to my 200 gallons (dose is not critical) occasionally.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say green corals are muted, but I'm skeptical that one can correlate specific color issues to specific elements.

FWIW, I would not assume the coral response noted above is due to iron, but perhaps to cells (blood cells), that it detects and may want to eat. The iron is not floating around loose in blood.

That said, iron dosing is a very easy DIY and you can look for favorable responses or not.
Here's a DIY:

http://www.cvs.com/drug/fergon/oral-tablet/27mg

Take 1 tablet and dissolve in 100 mL RO/DI (overnight soak). Let the solids settle out and use the liquid. Then I dose about 1-5 mL to my 200 gallons (dose is not critical) occasionally.
i think you are right, i think it has to do with the cells

foshizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
Would allowing a nail or small piece of iron to rust away in the sump be a feasible way to add Fe in solution?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
Would allowing a nail or small piece of iron to rust away in the sump be a feasible way to add Fe in solution?

The amount added would be small and not pure iron since nails are alloys.

GFO is a very high surface are iron material that also likely adds iron, but not likely as much as from a liquid additive.

Bernie King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies if this has been asked before.

Can someone help me with some accurate information as to iron consumption in an sps tank that utilizes chaeto? I have found that dosing iron (up to .15 ppm) has had a significant effect on my coral coloration. I have taken photos over a 3 week period without having changed anything else in my tank in order to keep my results as controlled as possible for a home setting. While continuously testing my iron levels, I noticed that the iron depletes rather quickly (in a 3-4 day time span). This seems to be an unrealistic amount to keep up with. For some reason, I am sensing that there may be a link between my chaeto and iron uptake. Can anyone confirm this?

All parameters in my tank are for the most part, rock solid and do not fluctuate hardly at all. My PH remains between 8.15-8.2, calcium is almost at a constant 490-500ppm, magnesium at 1490-1500, KH at 8.5, NO3 at 2ppm, and PO4 is undetectable. These parameters do not fluctuate outside of the aforementioned readings. I can test my water 2 weeks apart and the parameters are still holding stable. I dose Kalkwasser mixed with vinegar via a dosing pump 24/7 as to mitigate PH spikes. The tank is beautiful, clean, and the livestock couldn't be happier. I show growth and color to the point that local hobbyists think I have some sort of secret. I would like to continue to contribute to the enhanced coloration which I have to believe to be due, in part, to the iron supplementing, but I have to know where it is all going.

Any insight would be helpful, but please be ready to back it up with evidence.
What brand are you dosing?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back