Is 7 Alkalinity okay?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock you got from the fish store had an unknown amount of nitrifying bacteria... possibly none. If you're not planning to add bottled bacteria and a nitrogen source, it's going to take longer than a week to cycle. Probably looking at a month.

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock you got from the fish store had an unknown amount of nitrifying bacteria... possibly none. If you're not planning to add bottled bacteria and a nitrogen source, it's going to take longer than a week to cycle. Probably looking at a month.
I guess I'm confused on how the nitrogen cycle works because I thought live rock would've provided all of the nitrifying bacteria necessary and it would've multiplied based on how much ammonia is produced by other organisms. Would getting some fritz turbo start properly start the cycle?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm confused on how the nitrogen cycle works because I thought live rock would've provided all of the nitrifying bacteria necessary and it would've multiplied based on how much ammonia is produced by other organisms. Would getting some fritz turbo start properly start the cycle?
Just wait. A week is not long enough to cycle a tank. Patience is something you have to have to be successful in this hobby :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back