Is it possible to use too much GFO?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently half way through my fluconazole treatment for bryopsis. My phosphates have jumped substantially, but I can’t do a water change yet since there is still some bryopsis that has to die off yet.

Does anyone know, during this temporary period, is there any downside to doubling the amount of GFO I am using? I have a 25 gallon tank

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only downside I can think of is having a phosphate swing when decreasing phosphates quickly to zero .
Right now it’s around 0.25, and it’s making some of my corals irritated. I might double it for a day or two. I test nitrate and phosphate everyday usually

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely depleting is just as bad as the problems you’re facing now-or worse. Right now you just have algae. Dinos come when your phos and nitrate bottom out entirely.
so yes-short answer is it could easily wreak havoc

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it’s around 0.25, and it’s making some of my corals irritated. I might double it for a day or two. I test nitrate and phosphate everyday usually
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you think the phosphates are irritating your coral...and not the chemical fluconazole?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can tolerate a phosphate of 0.25 no problem. I would be more concerned about adding another variable. Upping the gfo can affect alkalinity and lead to a swing in the nutrients as others mentioned. I would be concerned the instability might cause more irritation. My recommendation would be go slow and prioritize stability over any single number.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you think the phosphates are irritating your coral...and not the chemical fluconazole?
From what I was reading, most people who used fluconazole to address bryopsis didn't see any affect on their corals. Naturally I assumed it was the high phosphate, but it's probably more likely something else. Just thought I'd ask since my phosphate jumped from 0.08 to 0.20 the next day (now at 0.25 2 days later).

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I was reading, most people who used fluconazole to address bryopsis didn't see any affect on their corals. Naturally I assumed it was the high phosphate, but it's probably more likely something else. Just thought I'd ask since my phosphate jumped from 0.08 to 0.20 the next day (now at 0.25 2 days later).
yes so it isn't the fluconazole (I have used it ) or the "high" phosphates , its the continuous jumps in phosphates in a short period of time . decreasing it sharply will only make it worse

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes so it isn't the fluconazole (I have used it ) or the "high" phosphates , its the continuous jumps in phosphates in a short period of time . decreasing it sharply will only make it worse
Sounds good. I’ll leave it be until the treatment is done. And then just do a water change

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best best is to try and remove as much of the bryopsis by hand as possible. The more that is in the tank when dosing, the more phosphates are going to be released as it dies.

So if you can remove more of it by hand, that will result in less phosphates entering the water, and the GFO should slowly decrease it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back