Is it worth saving old tank that leaks and needs bracing?

Marcus McConnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one. Been a while since I have posted. Got a question on if an older 55 gal tank is worth the effort of saving. The tank was my brother's roommates tank that he had set up for a couple years that he himself had already bought 2nd hand and was setup for freshwater chiclids. He ended up doing an emergency tear down since he left for work one morning and got a call a little later that there was a lot of water on the floor and the tank water level was low. He rushed home partially drained the tank till it stopped leaking them moved his fish over to his dad's house till he could fix the leak. Well he never found where the leak was on the tank so he never reset it up since. Since then he has give me the entire tank and setup minus the lid, and I have found where the leak is and it's not a bad sealing leak area but the leak was caused by the center upper brace for the tank breaking. When I leak tested the tank I did it in stages so I didn't stress out the tank incase it was a really bad leak that structurally compromised the tank. 1/4 full sitting for 1hr- no leaks, 1/2 full 2hrs- no leaks, 3/4 full 1.5 hrs-no leaks, 1 inch from top of tank rim 10min- lower back corner underneath trim leaks. I noticed the leak first but as I was inspecting the leaky corner I noticed the front and back panels were both bowed out 1/2 in from where they were supposed to be so I quickly marked with a sharpie what corner was leaking and drained the tank entirely. While it was draining I gave the upper rim brace a closer look and noticed the center brace had been meticulously cut out and at a first glance it looks like it's not supposed to have the center brace but I can see sanding marks from where someone has rounded the cut edge to match the rest of the inner brace lip. I ended up testing the tank a few days later with a temporary Jerry rigged 2x4 brace that held the top of the tank in proper position and did my leak test again mainly to narrow down exactly where in the corner it was leaking but even after being filled 1/4 if an inch from the top for 6hrs it never leaked, so I'm guessing that the leak was caused by the sides bowing just enough to pull the corner silicone just right to leak. I have found a replacement upper brace company so I can replace that with a new factory styled plastic glue on rim brace. I do plan on redoing all interior corner silicone, but is it worth taking the effort to remove the bottom brace and the back and right side glass and revealing it that way or will the new inner silicone be enough to stop the leaks and not structurally compromise the tank? I don't want to risk breaking any of the glass since a single replacement pane is more expensive vs a new tank I can get at my LFS. I already have the new silicone on hand and the new brace is only $18, $45 after shipping, and the tank is an old enought that a the vertical panes are only 1/4in not the newer 3/16in and the bottom is 5/16in. Any help and thoughts on the best way to handle this greatly appreciated.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend greatly on what it is worth. What brand is it? What would it cost new? Is it in amazing shape otherwise? Personally, I probably wouldn't trust it.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way would I go trust it or go through the effort for a 55 gallon tank. They are cheap enough (especially during petcos 50% sales) that it isn't worth it. I just checked, they are $80 right now on petco.

OP
OP
Marcus McConnell

Marcus McConnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend greatly on what it is worth. What brand is it? What would it cost new? Is it in amazing shape otherwise? Personally, I probably wouldn't trust it.
It's an old early 2000s marineland 55gal, a new aqueon that I can get at my LFS is $215 after tax. Glass itself is perfect, no scratches or nicks in the corners, and technically the tank seals as long as there is some kind of center brace and I would still go thru and replace the inner silicone. I think the top bowing out causes just enough distortion that the bottom corners pull slightly appart. if I can get away with only buying a new brace and only revealing the inside corners that's preferred over having to disassemble the entire tank and replace all the silicone. I have done that in the past with 10 and 20gal tanks I used as ATO storage but those tanks weren't housing anything that's life depended on water staying inside. If I end up not saving the tank I'll end up still cutting it up and using the glass for baffles in a sump or make a smaller custom fresh water tank so if it does leak I got 3 other tanks I can quickly move the fish over to.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not worth the time or effort ,get a new tank JMO...

OP
OP
Marcus McConnell

Marcus McConnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way would I go trust it or go through the effort for a 55 gallon tank. They are cheap enough (especially during petcos 50% sales) that it isn't worth it. I just checked, they are $80 right now on petco.
Petco I'm my area sucks for tanks, seen them unloading tanks right off the truck and onto the display and they already have scratches and chipped corners and my local petco doesn't keep the 55gal in stock. I'm not too concerned with rushing to get this tank set up since it will be the first tank that will be set up for salt at my new house. I will be getting a 15 gal nano salt from my LFS but that's since the owner knows how well I can do tanks so he's selling me one of his display tanks fully set up with fish and corals so he can make space for a larger tank so that's going to be the first salt tank here. I have points and discounts I can use at my LFS I can put towards the tank bit I'm saving them so I can get a really nice sump for basically free.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an old early 2000s marineland 55gal, a new aqueon that I can get at my LFS is $215 after tax. Glass itself is perfect, no scratches or nicks in the corners, and technically the tank seals as long as there is some kind of center brace and I would still go thru and replace the inner silicone. I think the top bowing out causes just enough distortion that the bottom corners pull slightly appart. if I can get away with only buying a new brace and only revealing the inside corners that's preferred over having to disassemble the entire tank and replace all the silicone. I have done that in the past with 10 and 20gal tanks I used as ATO storage but those tanks weren't housing anything that's life depended on water staying inside. If I end up not saving the tank I'll end up still cutting it up and using the glass for baffles in a sump or make a smaller custom fresh water tank so if it does leak I got 3 other tanks I can quickly move the fish over to.
Petco has the aqueons for sale right now for $80

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back