Is livestock at your LFS cheaper than online?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is livestock at your LFS cheaper than online?

My LFS, NorCal Corals, consistently has cheaper prices on most live goods. Now, I live in the sticks and local is still an hour, but I dig going there whenever I get down in the valley.

Today, I purchased a Foxface One Spot for $50 and a Halloween hermit for $4. I bought my buddy a Harlinquin Shrimp for $50.

I don't get out much (at least to populated areas) and have only made 2 online livestock orders. Fiji liverock in 2006 and some cleanup crew from reef cleaners a few months ago. I just think it is cool getting to see the fish and pay cheaper prices and was wondering if others have it the same?
My local fish store sells their fish around the same price as they are online. It really just depends on the type of fish.

But my local fish store prices on corals are a lot more expensive than they are online. And most of them are too small for what the price they are asking for.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheaper at LFS without a doubt.
I generally buy online because I'm pretty specific about varieties that I'm seeking whereas the selection at LFS can be a little generic

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a former wholesaler I would like to share some food for thought.
EVERYONE in this forum is enthralled with the hobby and are ardent supporters of environmental issues impacting our oceans. How did you get interested in the hobby? A friends tank, public aquarium or perhaps an LFS. OK, how many of you share the joys of owning a slice of the reef with others. Answer 99.9%
How many friends have left your house without seeing your tank. Answer 0%. How many people did you personally entice to get into the hobby?

The LFS has public visibility. Their point of presence attracts new entrants into the hobby thus more environmental awareness. It is difficult to ignore something you love.
There are many excellent LFS that are 'doing it right'. We need them to stay in business and attract competitors.
At least partially supporting them with your business makes it better for everyone in the end.

Online suppliers offer outstanding specimens. You know all the great ones and I support their efforts especially the propagation & captive bred facilities. Cost and variety are most definitely a consideration.

Happy New Year to all

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back