OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to reiterate - you did not QT the fish, etc - just put in the tank. The inverts, etc in the tank look great in the pictures - which suggest either not a toxin (that's toxic to corals) or a disease - or a weird clown - that may have had an acclimation issue (salinity lower in bag than tank), or some other problem.

Can you think of anything that may have related to the problems?
No qt I acclimated in the bag while it float to come up to temp I used a turkey baster to remove the bag water and add tank water I didn't drip acclimate it was very cold outside so it was cooler in the house than usual I didn't want the fish to get cold while it acclimated.... All the snails and crabs are doing great I've been able to count them and make sure they haven't disappeared they come out to eat when I feed the other fish seems active healthy and hungry the corals look good the emerald crabs dislodged a chunk of algae that got caught in the over flow grate it caused my ato to add a little more than usual I haven't tested salinity but I've had this issue before it's never enough cause a swing slight fluctuation maybe of course when I turn the white light on and feed to get a good picture he starts acting like a normal clown fish for a while seems tired or stressed but actually acting a bit better as the day goes

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a Darwin, black and a snowflake. The snowflake is smaller. The Darwin slightly bigger but both less than an inch and a half I would I guess The snowflake immediately acted like a clownfish should swimming around active feeding. The Darwin at first seemed pretty active but I noticed some spending more and more time close to the rocks and not swimming in the water column didn't think much about it At first because I had a clown fish for 3 years that was perfectly content to wiggle in the top corner of the aquarium all day I just thought it was stressed. 3 hour car ride home from the fish store I got them last Saturday and I think around maybe Wednesday or Thursday. I noticed he wasn't being as active today is the most lethargic I haven't seen the snowflake bully or push or nip, especially at feeding times. They've slept together since day one. I thought they were trying to pair
Pairing is possible, acceptability unknown.
Are they still sleeping together or has that stopped?
If offerred food will he eat any as of now?
They are two very different patterns which can work, but I’ve found that harder than two same species, same pattern, usually 8 out of 10 success.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does not seem like a disease issue now - however, often a difference of a day makes a difference. I would watch the clown(s) - their behavior together very carefully.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish looks thin and moribund.
Is there sign of shallow breathing?
Eating at all?
can stem from aggression as well as injury
I just got it from LFS last Saturday it was in a tank full of other Darwin blacks so it's possible that it's under feed I have been feeding daily and twice daily for 2 or 3 days watching the black one specifically to see it eat or at least get excited like the other when I feed I've seen him inhale the food but I'm pretty sure it spit it out after he tried it maybe it's a passive aggression between them idk but the last clown I had went out of it's way to make sure a fire fish and watchman goby stayed in their place and he got more than them the only thing I notice here is that the snow flake just feeds more aggressively but he doesn't seem to be mean or chasing or pushing breathing is just ok I've seen worse and better

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got it from LFS last Saturday it was in a tank full of other Darwin blacks so it's possible that it's under feed I have been feeding daily and twice daily for 2 or 3 days watching the black one specifically to see it eat or at least get excited like the other when I feed I've seen him inhale the food but I'm pretty sure it spit it out after he tried it maybe it's a passive aggression between them idk but the last clown I had went out of it's way to make sure a fire fish and watchman goby stayed in their place and he got more than them the only thing I notice here is that the snow flake just feeds more aggressively but he doesn't seem to be mean or chasing or pushing breathing is just ok I've seen worse and better
DO you know if your LFS does any QT?

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pairing is possible, acceptability unknown.
Are they still sleeping together or has that stopped?
If offerred food will he eat any as of now?
They are two very different patterns which can work, but I’ve found that harder than two same species, same pattern, usually 8 out of 10 success.
I read that a way to tell that they could be pairing is sleeping together so I was excited to see them doing so and almost immediately being different and from totally different tanks I check on them a couple time's a night when I get up for a drink they wiggle right next to each other all night and only part when the light starts to ramp up the black wiggles close to the toad stool and the snowflake roams more but usually can be found not far away

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO you know if your LFS does any QT?
I don't know im 2 1/2 hours away from this place i live in the country and have to travel to find these places I should have asked if they qt at all and I should have asked them to feed for me but I'm usually just excited to see that they actually have what I'm looking for I will say the tanks were clean from detritus and algae I looked hard for aptasia and dead or sick fish it was the most impressive and clean store I've been to as of yet but that's not saying a whole lot cuz reefing and even saltwater is not popular at all in East Texas and any where I could easily drive to has dirty tanks and dead fish aptasia every where the place I went to was recommended by some members who are local I suppose I could email and ask what if any qt protocols are in place

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not seem like a disease issue now - however, often a difference of a day makes a difference. I would watch the clown(s) - their behavior together very carefully.
I will keep an eye on them to see what's going on but I really have been impressed by these 2 together my other clown pair was a butt hole 1 chased the other until he jumped out the tank and died that was a rookie mistake when I first started then the survivor bullied every fish I introduced and would constantly bite me when I did water change

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wanted to say Thanks for all the information and input and help on this thread before I forget and get busy

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With clown hierarchy, often the larger being a female will hog the food and be an aggressor. You may want to consider isolating the aggressor to see if behaviors change. Fish is thin and likely not a quarantine issue.
Can you provide a video under white lighting ?

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clown hierarchy, often the larger being a female will hog the food and be an aggressor. You may want to consider isolating the aggressor to see if behaviors change. Fish is thin and likely not a quarantine issue.
The Darwin black is a bit bigger to my eye but not by much and that is the weak thin fish but they are very close in size the bigger one has little to no appetite and the smaller snow flake has a more aggressive feeding response but I've been keeping an eye out he doesn't seem to be picking or bullying it just goes crazy when you feed and gobble and chase the food all around the tank but doesn't appear to be aggressive to the other clown

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course when I turn the white light up and bust out the camera it acts different than what I was worried over

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an easy fix then if that’s all it takes.
It was white only and don't wanna change my spectrum the corals seem happy I'm hoping it's just having a hard time settling in to it's new home and that's it im gonna do a light acclimation start at like 50 percent and work back up to 100 over the next month maybe the blue is just way different than it's used to idk but it's something I can change without much consequence

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The Darwin black is a bit bigger to my eye but not by much and that is the weak thin fish but they are very close in size the bigger one has little to no appetite and the smaller snow flake has a more aggressive feeding response but I've been keeping an eye out he doesn't seem to be picking or bullying it just goes crazy when you feed and gobble and chase the food all around the tank but doesn't appear to be aggressive to the other clown
Again, fish is quite thin and appears somewhat weak. Do you have an isolation/acclimation box?

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, fish is quite thin and appears somewhat weak. Do you have an isolation/acclimation box?
No but I could get one if it's not crazy expensive and doesn't require an extra tank and it could help I'm not trying to argue or be difficult I'm just wandering what the benefit would be...to help with feeding? Out just give a chance to eat without competition...I'm next to positive that there is no bullying or aggression but I'm not able to watch the tank all day so I'm not 100 percent sure but my wife is here and keeps an eye on it....would hate to add stress chasing it around the tank with a net but I know it needs to eat so it can fight off whatever is going on.... Could you send a link or description I could search on Amazon or whatever

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No but I could get one if it's not crazy expensive and doesn't require an extra tank and it could help I'm not trying to argue or be difficult I'm just wandering what the benefit would be...to help with feeding? Out just give a chance to eat without competition...I'm next to positive that there is no bullying or aggression but I'm not able to watch the tank all day so I'm not 100 percent sure but my wife is here and keeps an eye on it....would hate to add stress chasing it around the tank with a net but I know it needs to eat so it can fight off whatever is going on.... Could you send a link or description I could search on Amazon or whatever
If there is aggression, it will allow fish to escape aggression and have a chance at food assuming its eating. For the future, its a great way to introduce fish prior to release and serves as a fishy jail

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is aggression, it will allow fish to escape aggression and have a chance at food assuming its eating. For the future, its a great way to introduce fish prior to release and serves as a fishy jail
Screenshot_20240127-193847.png
something like this would it be big enough it's like a3.9 inch cube

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back