Is my favia dead?

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef community,

Basically title, wondering if this Favia is gone or can I try and resuscitate. It was doing great for about a month and then started to get more pale, and now the green by the mouth is almost non existent.

Video:
Photo attached

Phosphate: around 0.3
Nitrate: around 40
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78 F

Thanks in advance!

20240429_093352.jpg

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have stable water parameters and there's no pests on it then do a dip in iodine and put it in a low flow low light area of the tank. I had one that I thought was dead for sure and it came back strong. It took almost a year to recover so be patient.

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have stable water parameters and there's no pests on it then do a dip in iodine and put it in a low flow low light area of the tank. I had one that I thought was dead for sure and it came back strong. It took almost a year to recover so be patient.

Thank you for the advice. May I ask what the iodine is for? Pests? I haven't seen any pests in general, is there something specific to look for that's hard to see as opposed to like a bristle worm?

Also, I actually had put it up in high PAR light thinking it wasn't getting enough, so I should move it to low light?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. May I ask what the iodine is for? Pests? I haven't seen any pests in general, is there something specific to look for that's hard to see as opposed to like a bristle worm?

Also, I actually had put it up in high PAR light thinking it wasn't getting enough, so I should move it to low light?
Welcome, here's a link to a discussion on the usage:

Lower light and lower flow reduce stress on the coral so it can recover.

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first favia got to a point that looked way worse than that. That actually looks ok. I agree with iodine dip though. It did quick and immediate wonders for my struggling favia. Also low light (50-80 par). Flow isn't as big of a deal with those in my experience. Feeding also helps favia. I found reefroids didn't do a lot but mysis lead to new growth.

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first favia got to a point that looked way worse than that. That actually looks ok. I agree with iodine dip though. It did quick and immediate wonders for my struggling favia. Also low light (50-80 par). Flow isn't as big of a deal with those in my experience. Feeding also helps favia. I found reefroids didn't do a lot but mysis lead to new growth.

I feed the tank mysis daily for the fish, it's quite a bit, but do you think I should be trying to target feed the Favia?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you getting favia to eat a mysis?

If my fish don't come and scoop it up (regardless of how overfed they are) it generally will just blow away even with the pumps off

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you getting favia to eat a mysis?

If my fish don't come and scoop it up (regardless of how overfed they are) it generally will just blow away even with the pumps off
Add some food to tank to get a feeding response (wait 20 minutes or so). Kill all flow including return/HOB. Spot feed directly and also feed fish at same time so they don't rob the corals.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back