Is my Lobo dying ?

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG1242[1].jpg
This lobo has gone through some changes since I bought it and now it has what look like teeth around it's exterior edges. It used to be a uniform red/maroon color.

The other thing about this lobo is that it has never expanded/open much since I got it. Unlike the other lobo I have which is amazing and changes from firm edges to expanding to the point of becoming translucent.
IMAG1194[1].jpg

Thanks in advance!

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I love that second one!

The other is in rough shape. I have a lobo I have been trying to bring back from a similar condition with little luck. The only luck for me is that it hasnt died. It has been shriveled like yours for 6-7 months. It won’t get better but it won’t die. I’ve moved it to low light and low flow. My only issue is that I have read you need to really feed these to get them to come back. The problem is that it does put out feeders on all 3 mouths but doesn’t eat fast enough to not get robbed by shrimp/crabs/nassirus. I’m working on the feeding issue to give this another try.

Also I would suggest cutting off all the exposed pointy skeleton spikes as it will be really tough for the tissue to grow back over it.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes coral in first picture is dying.Put it in low light and flow,like John3 said.Check your Alk,cal and mag.

OP
OP
John Hughes

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses, my Alk is 8, Cal 490 and Mag 1600. It's at the same height as the other lobo but in less flow. It never has responded to feeding although I have seen two mouths. I'm going to move it to the bottom of the tank in a low flow area. I've been feeding my corals Reef Roids but it never has responded.

So I should trim the sharp edges off of it's rim?

Maybe an Iodine dip might help?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I’m dealing with exposed skeleton for recovery I trim off and sharp points. Did all this tissue recession happen very fast or slowly?

I’ve done an iodine dip on mine and it didn’t help. It ticked it off even more but in a few days it was back to looking like it’s normal crappy self. I would dip it if you are still seeing tissue loss though to at least try and stop it.

OP
OP
John Hughes

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to what type of coral it is, it was sold to me as a lobo and I've been told it's a wellso or trachy so I dint know. The guy on Tidal Gardens on You tube says that there are no wellso corals so... Either way I guess my coral is dying a slow death.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Hughes

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I love that second one!

The other is in rough shape. I have a lobo I have been trying to bring back from a similar condition with little luck. The only luck for me is that it hasnt died. It has been shriveled like yours for 6-7 months. It won’t get better but it won’t die. I’ve moved it to low light and low flow. My only issue is that I have read you need to really feed these to get them to come back. The problem is that it does put out feeders on all 3 mouths but doesn’t eat fast enough to not get robbed by shrimp/crabs/nassirus. I’m working on the feeding issue to give this another try.

Also I would suggest cutting off all the exposed pointy skeleton spikes as it will be really tough for the tissue to grow back over it.
This one has never responded to feeding no matter what I give it. I've tried mysys pellets, ground up shrimp, scallop and reef roids all to no avail. Only just started receding though.

Back