Is there any livestock that can be shipped from the US to Canada

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I've done some searches but I'm still not sure about this. I'm talking about creatures that aren't on the cites list or are otherwise prohibited. Stock could be from LFSs but I'm thinking more of livestock from hobbyists who are willing to ship. Are there any corals, fish, inverts that can come across the border. I really would like some micro brittle stars.

If there is livestock that can come is there paperwork that's needed?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this too because I might want to send some corals up there on day.
@blaxsun might be able to shed some light on this one
I'm really hoping this can be done! There are just some things that are near impossible to get up here and if there is a possibility then there's a waiting list a mile long for it. :)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky my UPS rep came from international imports department of ups. She helped me get established as a non resident importor in Canada and now we are working with agriculture department for a list of permitted livestock and licenses.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see one thing, Canadian government doesn't make it easy to import livestock and fruits and vegetables. Just have to have right paperwork, clearing agent (in my case ups is my broker) and license.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in final stages of my paperwork. Soon we will be able to ship to Canada.
O..M..G!! That is awesome!! Whoop, whoop!! I'm so jealous of the access to livestock down there and even better if they're pre-quarantined so this is great news! :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if hobbyists have to do paperwork as well. I always thought if any paperwork was needed it would be me filing it with Canada Border Services to receive it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this too because I might want to send some corals up there on day.
@blaxsun might be able to shed some light on this one
Yeah, typically it's a no-go for shipping any fish or corals - mainly with the delays in customs. I know commercially it's more viable, but we're talking direct flights here and not the typical UPS or FedEx couriers (so obviously more expensive).

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if hobbyists have to do paperwork as well. I always thought if any paperwork was needed it would be me filing it with Canada Border Services to receive it.
There is affidavit client will need to sign. But way around is I am a non resident importor so I am importing to myself in Canada.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, typically it's a no-go for shipping any fish or corals - mainly with the delays in customs. I know commercially it's more viable, but we're talking direct flights here and not the typical UPS or FedEx couriers (so obviously more expensive).
The delays oh okay. So they will let it through faster from a company with documents. Time is essential

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The delays oh okay. So they will let it through faster from a company with documents. Time is essential
Pretty much. And even then there's no guarantees. Next time I'm at my LFS I'll inquire (I know he gets some ORA/captive bred fish, but these may come from a distributor in Canada).

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much. And even then there's no guarantees. Next time I'm at my LFS I'll inquire (I know he gets some ORA/captive bred fish, but these may come from a distributor in Canada).
Ya, that's the thing... There are obviously some lfs's doing it. You're right that they may be getting them from distributors but that means the distributors are doing it.

I might contact UPS and FedEx just to see what's needed to ensure there are no delays. For example my folks sold their condo in Florida last year and documents had to be couriered to them up here. They were sent by UPS. They left Florida at 4pm and arrived at my folks' place by 10am the next day. I was shocked it made it that quickly but it goes to show stuff can make it for to door in 24 hours (in this case less). It's just knowing what's needed so there are no delays.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, that's the thing... There are obviously some lfs's doing it. You're right that they may be getting them from distributors but that means the distributors are doing it.

I might contact UPS and FedEx just to see what's needed to ensure there are no delays. For example my folks sold their condo in Florida last year and documents had to be couriered to them up here. They were sent by UPS. They left Florida at 4pm and arrived at my folks' place by 10am the next day. I was shocked it made it that quickly but it goes to show stuff can make it for to door in 24 hours (in this case less). It's just knowing what's needed so there are no delays.
Documents can make it there in one day. Anything else, it all depends on what's described for customs and what gets flagged.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Documents can make it there in one day. Anything else, it all depends on what's described for customs and what gets flagged.
It's like voodoo hoodoo magic to get things into Canada. :)

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything is setup pretty much on my end. Few requirements are being met. but i wanted to float the idea to see if clients are even willing to pay this amount.
In order for me to ship fish into Canada, there are fees duties and taxes etc.

Looks like we will have to have 400 CAD( 310 US $) minimum order and we are looking at 150 CAD (116 US $)total landed cost on top (total of 550CAD). There are no other fees or taxes or anything later. UPS will drop the box at the door step and not demand anything.

Order above 1000CAD will be completely free shipping and free duties etc.

Is that something my Canadian hobbyist willing to pay? Before i spend money into intergtation and boxes etc required for this. Any feedback is welcome

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 47 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back