Is this a starfish?

CarolineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 10 hermit crabs with multiple extra shells and a Trochus snail and noticed this guy. Is that a starfish? Possibly was hiding in a shell or something...

20240304_163021.jpg

epic56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 10 hermit crabs with multiple extra shells and a Trochus snail and noticed this guy. Is that a starfish? Possibly was hiding in a shell or something...

20240304_163021.jpg
Asterina starfish. Take over the tank scoop them out or get yourself a harlequin shrimp if they get way out of control.

epic56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina starfish. Take over the tank scoop them out or get yourself a harlequin shrimp if they get way out of control.
They ate my zoas and mushrooms when I first started I thought they were cool… my mistake. Lol

OP
OP
C

CarolineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! I kind of thought he was cool when I first noticed him, but I plan on getting zoas in the near future. I better scoop him out

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful if you plan on buying a harlequin shrimp.

They solely eat the sucker feet of starfish and can demolish a full blown asternia infestation in a week.

If you plan on buying one you should be prepared to feed it live starfish or buy a few chocolate chip stars and rotate cutting off a different leg every week to feed him.

One of the most expensive shrimp to own because of its diet. If you don't feed it properly it WILL die of malnutrition within a few months

OP
OP
C

CarolineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful if you plan on buying a harlequin shrimp.

They solely eat the sucker feet of starfish and can demolish a full blown asternia infestation in a week.

If you plan on buying one you should be prepared to feed it live starfish or buy a few chocolate chip stars and rotate cutting off a different leg every week to feed him.

One of the most expensive shrimp to own because of its diet. If you don't feed it properly it WILL die of malnutrition within a few months
Shrimp creep me out lol. No plans on getting any at this time

OP
OP
C

CarolineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found an article about it. Thank you! Seems like it's rare to get the zoa eating type.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll have to do my research on them as he's an unexpected guest. This sure is fascinating to see everything coming alive (I'm new to saltwater/reef aquariums and my tank is only 2 weeks old)
In your research you will find lots of mixed opinions. There are 32 species of Asterina starfish. A lot of reefers like myself have kept Asterina for years without issue.

Some will tell you they have eaten Zoa’s.
Funny enough I recently saw Asterina at a LFS being sold for $25 a piece.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back