Is this Amphidinium (Small Cell) ? Microscope ID

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"dust" like algae on glass after magneting back within an hour, took a scraping of it and found this under microscope. If anyone can confirm it or tell me to get a better slide would super appreciate it, thanks!

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"dust" like algae on glass after magneting back within an hour, took a scraping of it and found this under microscope. If anyone can confirm it or tell me to get a better slide would super appreciate it, thanks!
Can you upload the video to YouTube? I cannot see anything.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hard to see. First looks like dinoflagellates second like tetraselmis. Can you increase magnification?

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see. First looks like dinoflagellates second like tetraselmis. Can you increase magnification?
IMG_4370.png

Heres two more videos with higher mag, really hard to get better quality with the microscope I have.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4370.png

Heres two more videos with higher mag, really hard to get better quality with the microscope I have.

Not Ostreopsis in my opinion. I agree with you, looks like small cell Amphidinium. Does it migrate into water during night, like mentioned in the pdf guide? If that's the case then UV is the best way to treat it.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Ostreopsis in my opinion. I agree with you, looks like small cell Amphidinium. Does it migrate into water during night, like mentioned in the pdf guide? If that's the case then UV is the best way to treat it.
Hard to tell if it goes into water at night, I can only tell that its on the glass - no sand in the tank. I raised nitrates and want to say im seeing less, if it doesn't go away will slap on a uv and see if it helps. Thanks!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back