Is this crazing or seam separation?

Fish_time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I received this acrylic tank for free - appx 35 gallons, drilled in the back. There's a significant amount of cracking in the front - does anyone know if this looks like normal crazing or if this is seam separation? Only the front corners have this, it's a 20x20x20 cube. The back looks fine, no other "crack" marks on the sides or bottom. It holds water - but this would be my first acrylic tank and I'm worried about putting a lot into it only to have it break.

Nice to meet everyone, and thanks!

whole tank.jpg same One Corner Outside.jpg One Corner Outside.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most def crazing.. could be a number of reasons why, but hard to say without seeing it in person..could be flames polished and wiped with a harsh chemical such as windex, under sized material that’s been stressed etc.. tank should be fine it’s not separation or anything.. glue joints will turn white and cloudy..

OP
OP
F

Fish_time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This will be my first drilled tank. In looking at this system, the left side with the slats (overflow?) has one hole, and on the right there are two holes drilled. The single hole on the left is 1 inch, and the two holes on the right are: 1 inch, and 1.5 inches. Do you have a recommendation or link on the ideal way to plumb this to a 20 gal sump below? I see a ton of 3 hole "bean animal" style diagrams but they are not separated like this tank is.

left side one hole.jpg right side two holes.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fish_time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no holes are drilled I can see on any sides of the black walls (left or right)

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
If you got it for free it’s a win already . Like mentioned already drill holes . Take pics

OP
OP
F

Fish_time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question - if I drill where you indicated and do Herbie, I'll have the left corner with the single 1 inch hole as the main siphon. The overflow on the right with no weir would have my 1.5 inch emergency, and one inch return from the sump, terminating in the 1/2 inch locline nozzle (where the red dot is). Does that sound correct?

diagram.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question - if I drill where you indicated and do Herbie, I'll have the left corner with the single 1 inch hole as the main siphon. The overflow on the right with no weir would have my 1.5 inch emergency, and one inch return from the sump, terminating in the 1/2 inch locline nozzle (where the red dot is). Does that sound correct?

diagram.png
Yes but one question… does the overflow with no weir “teeth” sit lower than the top of the tank to allow for an emergency overflow? If that makes sense.. lol basically are they both the same height and below the edge of the tank.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I received this acrylic tank for free - appx 35 gallons, drilled in the back. There's a significant amount of cracking in the front - does anyone know if this looks like normal crazing or if this is seam separation? Only the front corners have this, it's a 20x20x20 cube. The back looks fine, no other "crack" marks on the sides or bottom. It holds water - but this would be my first acrylic tank and I'm worried about putting a lot into it only to have it break.

Nice to meet everyone, and thanks!

whole tank.jpg same One Corner Outside.jpg One Corner Outside.jpg
could have been the wrong glue used or edges were not flat when glued

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back