Is this Dinos?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had what looks like green algae for about a month or so. It hasnt taken over, and it mostly forms om my rocks. but for a short time, it did grow on my sandbed. I vacuumed the gravel an it has not came back on the gravel. It seems to be photosynthetic and it does create small bubles. It mostly grows in darker areas and not really in the direct light, mostly in the lower half of the tank, and on the side of the rocks, but not really the top of the rocks. It does get a little stringy, but nothing crazy. I suspect dinos.

A little about my tank. 220 with 75 gallon sump. Tons of flow. 4 OR T247 LEDs. It has been running for a little over two years, but most rock is from my previous tanks and anywhere from 5-12 years old. I run a small amount of biopellets and have for 1.5 years. I run GFO but change it rarely because my PO4 stays pretty low (0-.03). I just put fresh GFO in about a week ago. Alk stays around 7.5 using Kalk through ATO. I have a lot of SPS. I have big fish that are big eaters (two big tangs, two big triggers, one large angel, one dwarf angel, and two clowns). I dose mb7 and acro power every few days.

I suspect this is dino. This is my plan. I am going to lower my photo period to 4 hours per day for a few days. I just replaced my GFO. I just dosed 12 ml of hydrogen peroxide and will dose 6 more later tonight. I will dose about 18ml of hydrogen peroxide per day for the next few days. I will mix my kalk up a little stronger to raise PH, but will not exceed 9.5 alk.

I'd really appreciate it if some of you could confirm this is dinos, and confirm that my plan of attack is sound. Thanks in advance! These pics are pretty macro, so standing a few feet in front of the tank, you wouldn't even notice this.

P1250410.jpg

P1250389.jpg

P1250384.jpg

P1250364.jpg

P1250248.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff ya got there. Looks like Green Cyano with a bit of Dinos thrown in the mix. How the heck did you come about that??

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff ya got there. Looks like Green Cyano with a bit of Dinos thrown in the mix. How the heck did you come about that??

Ha, I was hoping you'd tell me! No idea how this happened. I have added nothing now for quite some time except small SPS frags (with no plugs). Does my plan seam reasonable. I guess if it's cyano, I could try some chemi clean, but I don't want to do too much at once. I'll reassess next week after I carry out the plan above.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like Dinos to me. At least not the type I've battled

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've begun fighting whatever this is. Last night I vacuumed my gravel (just to get the detritus out) and then used a powerhead to blow this stuff of my rocks. It comes of really easy and wasn't really stringy. However, I'd did oddly stick to my arm hair. I let my power heads blow this stuff around for a bit with a filter sock on my return drain. After about an hour, I light blew off the rocks again to get anything off that settled. I waited another half hour and vacuumed the gravel again.

Meanwhile, I'm dosing about 6 ml of hydrogen peroxide 3 times per day. I've also shortened my light period to four hours and turned down my whites a bit.

I think I'll be able to beat this. I'll reassess next weak and try chemi clean if necessary.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back