Is this flukes?

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to a dead fox face and potentially and dead flasher wrasse. All fish were eating great yesterday. Copperband and long nose hawk also look unhappy. No ammonia spike I could record so I'm a bit puzzled. I took action and preformed a 30% water change and started a prazi dose. Is this likely to be of any help

Attachments

• VID_20231129_154518.mp4
    23 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Woke up this morning to a dead fox face and potentially and dead flasher wrasse. All fish were eating great yesterday. Copperband and long nose hawk also look unhappy. No ammonia spike I could record so I'm a bit puzzled. I took action and preformed a 30% water change and started a prazi dose. Is this likely to be of any help
Need more than an 8 second video to determine anything but fish is in high distress and advanced breathing rate. It has a chance of becoming moribund then shutting down. With flukes, you will see heavy breathing, yawning, sudden darting, scratching and loss of appetite. I believe this is water quality related and some causes will be:
Elevated ammonia
Low oxygen
velvet
injury
Low salinity

OP
OP
N

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more than an 8 second video to determine anything but fish is in high distress and advanced breathing rate. It has a chance of becoming moribund then shutting down. With flukes, you will see heavy breathing, yawning, sudden darting, scratching and loss of appetite. I believe this is water quality related and some causes will be:
Elevated ammonia
Low oxygen
velvet
injury
Low salinity
Yeah in really not sure. I've seen no indication for an ammonia spike as it's tested at 0 before I did a water change. Should be plenty of oxygen as my poorly designed sump currently creates micro bubbles all throughout my tank as well as a skimmer and wave makers. No sign of injury on any fish and also no sign on velvet on any fish including foxface that died

OP
OP
N

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in really not sure. I've seen no indication for an ammonia spike as it's tested at 0 before I did a water change. Should be plenty of oxygen as my poorly designed sump currently creates micro bubbles all throughout my tank as well as a skimmer and wave makers. No sign of injury on any fish and also no sign on velvet on any fish including foxface that died.
Forgot to add but salinity has been stable at 1.025 have been checking every couple days. Also only use rodi water for water changes

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Forgot to add but salinity has been stable at 1.025 have been checking every couple days. Also only use rodi water for water changes
Micro bubbles wont necessarily increase 0xygen levels If a factor. Not sure how youre testing but get a second test from a store that does use Api test kits and see what reading they come up with to compare with yours.

OP
OP
N

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro bubbles wont necessarily increase 0xygen levels If a factor. Not sure how youre testing but get a second test from a store that does use Api test kits and see what reading they come up with to compare with yours.
Test was done my self with salifert but will go get another brand tomorrow and see if that shows different. There is also a ammonia alert badge in sump that reads 0, I understand this is a rubbish test but it's just another confirming factor to me

OP
OP
N

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can notice some redness a the base of the fins on either side, like right where they join the body

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can notice some redness a the base of the fins on either side, like right where they join the body
Yes , hemorrhaging from stress

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are the invertebrates in the tank all doing good? If so, you can usually rule out water quality problems.

When there is a rapid change in fish health, with fish dying before even really acting sick (for very long) and the other fish are breathing fast like the copperband, the most common diagnosis is Amyloodinium/Velvet.

That is a tough disease to treat because the only effective treatment is coppersafe or copper power in a hospital tank, and that has to be done right away because the treatment takes a few days to start working and the fish will continue to die....

Gill flukes can also cause rapid breathing, and prazi helps with that, but in this case, the rapid change from healthy to dying is not something you see with flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
N

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 update, no further deaths. Copperband breathing has reduced to less frantic levels and is swimming about the tank. All other fish also seem less stressed and all are eating. Copperband is also back picking at food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back