Is this Ich?

ECKIM250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back from work today with a new flame fin tomini tang and before I put him in, I noticed that my domino damsel, purple tang, and fu man chi lion all had white spots. I’m not sure if it’s ich but if it is. I’d like to treat it as soon as possible.

45D39F00-A8AD-49E7-AA3E-E2BA08B7927A.jpeg C7F25C4C-B67D-45BF-99A2-01EAAB727110.jpeg 18CA905B-91F7-4E05-AA33-655D2B188611.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, how long have you had the other fish, and do you typically QT or just temperature acclimate and dump in the fish?

The reason I ask is because it does appear that your fish have some skin issues that might be ich, but if this has been going on in your tank already then you have to decide if you want to go fallow and put all the fishes in a QT tank to treat for Ich.

Some folks just feed their fishes extra live clams chopped up, or grocery store mussels, shrimp, etc, but living whole (chopped) foods to keep their fish nutritionally healthy. I have a tang who gets ich now and again, I just feed the fish more, (and maybe do a water change to improve water quality) and thus far my fishes have held in there. I brought the tang home sick so I could give him a home with this extra level of care and he's responded well.

Other people will recommend copper treatments in a QT tank, and other stuff. Hope you try nutritional warefare instead of chemical warfare. GL

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back from work today with a new flame fin tomini tang and before I put him in, I noticed that my domino damsel, purple tang, and fu man chi lion all had white spots. I’m not sure if it’s ich but if it is. I’d like to treat it as soon as possible.

45D39F00-A8AD-49E7-AA3E-E2BA08B7927A.jpeg C7F25C4C-B67D-45BF-99A2-01EAAB727110.jpeg 18CA905B-91F7-4E05-AA33-655D2B188611.jpeg
The domino looks like ich, tough to say about the purple tang, and I can’t see anything on the fu Manchu.
Visual ID from pictures is never easy though.
Are the fish all eating well and no rapid breathing?
What inverts are present? Those are going to limit your options..
Copper is going to stop the eel from eating most likely.
Hyposalinity is also an option.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This does appear to be ich and nutritional remedy is new to me after almost 4 decades but anyway, the dilemma you will have is the eel which is sensitive to many meds and curatives but safest would be copper Power, hypo or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 Days monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api. With general cure- follow directions on package.
Also monitor ammonia level and nitrate with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment as you know eel cannot tolerate elevated nitrate.
You will also need to leave display tank Fish-Less (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off

OP
OP
E

ECKIM250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The domino looks like ich, tough to say about the purple tang, and I can’t see anything on the fu Manchu.
Visual ID from pictures is never easy though.
Are the fish all eating well and no rapid breathing?
What inverts are present? Those are going to limit your options..
Copper is going to stop the eel from eating most likely.
Hyposalinity is also an option.
Jay
Everything is eating fine. The domino is still eating like crazy as well as the tang and the lion. Visually everything looks ok, nothing is breathing heavy and they’re all swimming around fine. However the only thing I noticed is that the purple tang scratches itself on the rock and I heard that’s a sign of ich. I have an assortment of snails hermits and sand shifting starfish.

OP
OP
E

ECKIM250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, how long have you had the other fish, and do you typically QT or just temperature acclimate and dump in the fish?

The reason I ask is because it does appear that your fish have some skin issues that might be ich, but if this has been going on in your tank already then you have to decide if you want to go fallow and put all the fishes in a QT tank to treat for Ich.

Some folks just feed their fishes extra live clams chopped up, or grocery store mussels, shrimp, etc, but living whole (chopped) foods to keep their fish nutritionally healthy. I have a tang who gets ich now and again, I just feed the fish more, (and maybe do a water change to improve water quality) and thus far my fishes have held in there. I brought the tang home sick so I could give him a home with this extra level of care and he's responded well.

Other people will recommend copper treatments in a QT tank, and other stuff. Hope you try nutritional warefare instead of chemical warfare. GL
Thank is maybe 4 months and I drop acclimate no quarantine. Last fish I added was maybe a month ago.

OP
OP
E

ECKIM250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does appear to be ich and nutritional remedy is new to me after almost 4 decades but anyway, the dilemma you will have is the eel which is sensitive to many meds and curatives but safest would be copper Power, hypo or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 Days monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api. With general cure- follow directions on package.
Also monitor ammonia level and nitrate with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment as you know eel cannot tolerate elevated nitrate.
You will also need to leave display tank Fish-Less (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off
Ok. I might Nick up some copper mine tmrw as well as a Hannah checker. I will have to set up a quarantine tank. Do you suggest cycling the quarantine tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok. I might Nick up some copper mine tmrw as well as a Hannah checker. I will have to set up a quarantine tank. Do you suggest cycling the quarantine tank?
NO NEED TO BUT IF YOU HAVE A SEEDED SPONGE OR BIOLOGICAL MEANS- USE IT (OOPS-caps lock was on_

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is eating fine. The domino is still eating like crazy as well as the tang and the lion. Visually everything looks ok, nothing is breathing heavy and they’re all swimming around fine. However the only thing I noticed is that the purple tang scratches itself on the rock and I heard that’s a sign of ich. I have an assortment of snails hermits and sand shifting starfish.
Well, I think you have heard what the QT experts have suggested and they do have great success treating fish. Someone mentioned that the eel doesn't do well in copper. I myself have never had good luck with QT, zero success myself with chemical treatments for fish. I do use cipro for corals to cure bjd, but my fish seem to enjoy natural food as the best way to cure since I am such a disaster at copper and similar issues with fish.

The reason I asked about your tank, is that the stress of adding new fish will cause other fish to show stress and have spots. Your tank is very young, but you seem to be handling "ich management" without medicine quite well, especially in a young tank. I would feed those fish live foods, a lot, do extra water changes, and pray (I put the last in there because the med folks thing the whole foods method is a killer of fish and a practice only of crazy faith healer types.) :)

I don't know if I am crazy, but my fish are healthy enough. If you have already started QT, I would still encourage whole foods,
Without judgement or prejudice, just hoping your fish tank thrives in your home!
Kris

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching can be ich or flukes. The good breathing and still eating rules out velvet, so that’s good.
Jay

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%

Back