Is this normal

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting into growing corals. For give me I don’t remember the name of this coral all I know it belongs to the LPS variety. It does okay for a while then it looks like it has some kind of growth going on. My
Parameters are pretty good. Can anyone tell me if this is normal
image.jpg
image.jpg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just getting into growing corals. For give me I don’t remember the name of this coral all I know it belongs to the LPS variety. It does okay for a while then it looks like it has some kind of growth going on. My
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi!

Pictures under white light would be super helpful. I think this looks like a blastomussa merletti but it’s hard to know with the lighting.

Also, can you please list all your parameters? It’s always helpful for the rest of the forum to know in the event there’s something we can help with.

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
My perimeters are alkalinity 8.6 pH 7.8 magnesium 1430 calcium 499 serenity 34.9 ppm what are you doing posting this thing cool yeah 8096

Attachments

• IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2457.jpeg
    IMG_2457.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 24

xDMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perimeters are alkalinity 8.6 pH 7.8 magnesium 1430 calcium 499 serenity 34.9 ppm what are you doing posting this thing cool yeah 8096
How long has the coral been in your tank? It could just be stressed.

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same coral in my tank.... it appears nearly identical to yours, including what I believe is a white sponge that gets exposed at night when the coral heads are retracted) and is hidden under the heads when they expand. I'm not sure if its harming the coral or not... been like that for over 1/2 year.

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same coral in my tank.... it appears nearly identical to yours, including what I believe is a white sponge that gets exposed at night when the coral heads are retracted) and is hidden under the heads when they expand. I'm not sure if its harming the coral or not... been like that for over 1/2 year.
Ok that makes sense because it seems to happen when it starts getting dark. Thanks

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a spong is growing over it... I had this happen to a green star frag before.. and I took it off the rock and used tweezers to peel the sponge off.. just my 2 pennies based on the photos

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, OP, like RabidDragon said, that's a sponge growing on your coral - as long as the coral is still opening/extending and the sponge isn't growing over the actual polyps themselves, it should be harmless and fine to leave it there.

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a spong is growing over it... I had this happen to a green star frag before.. and I took it off the rock and used tweezers to peel the sponge off.. just my 2 pennies based on the photos
Thanks that might be worth a try. I’ll keep an eye on it

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(update) you were all right it is sponge growing on the frag. I removed it from my display tank and put it in my quarantine tank. I removed as much as I can. Don’t want it to spread anywhere else. Thanks for all the help.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back