Isopod ID - Sphaeromatidae?

YoungReefer00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I was just looking in my tank with a flashlight when I saw a couple of unknown isopods crawling around my Zoanthid coral, these isopods seemed to be eating away at the fragplug. I went to google to see if they were harmful since i’ve never seen them before and I only came across some very limited information. As far as I can tell now these isopods are either harmful Cirolanid’s or harmless Sphaeromatid’s. The isopods that I have in my tank have 3 “tails” instead of 2 that I see in pictures of Sphaeromatid’s, also they dont curl up into a ball as far as I can tell. Cirolanid’s are supposed to have big black eyes but these dont seem to have any.. does anybody know what I am dealing with here and if they are harmful?

Attachments

• IMG_7341.mov
    51.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone, I was just looking in my tank with a flashlight when I saw a couple of unknown isopods crawling around my Zoanthid coral, these isopods seemed to be eating away at the fragplug. I went to google to see if they were harmful since i’ve never seen them before and I only came across some very limited information. As far as I can tell now these isopods are either harmful Cirolanid’s or harmless Sphaeromatid’s. The isopods that I have in my tank have 3 “tails” instead of 2 that I see in pictures of Sphaeromatid’s, also they dont curl up into a ball as far as I can tell. Cirolanid’s are supposed to have big black eyes but these dont seem to have any.. does anybody know what I am dealing with here and if they are harmful?
Appears to be. The parasitic one - cirroland has visible antennas

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The isopods that I have in my tank have 3 “tails” instead of 2 that I see in pictures of Sphaeromatid’s, also they dont curl up into a ball as far as I can tell.
Yeah, the three tails are two uropods and a long pleotelson - the elongated uropods are typical of male Sphaeromatids, but the long pleotelson (the middle tail) is unusual.

That said, I'm still confident your critter is a Sphaeromatid of some variety, as there are a ton of genera in the family, and at least some isopods from the family (such as a number of Cilicaea species) have the elongated pleotelson.

So, yeah, it's most likely a harmless/beneficial Sphaeromatid.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back