Issue with RODI adapter

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the 5 stage system from RODI and it comes with the hose adapter. I tried connecting it to my bathroom sink directly to the cold water line. From my understanding the cold water connection is 3/8 so I bought a 3/4 male to 3/8 female adapter. The adapter fit under the 3/4 side but when I connect it to my cold water line it seems like it’s big…. What did I do wrong here?
IMG_4912.jpeg
IMG_4926.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NPT stands for national pipe thread. Meaning that the thread is tapered.

The plastic component is designed to fit onto a water hose spigot that is not tapered and requires a rubber gasket to seal.

Even though the threads are the same pitch, the fit will be wrong.

Not to say that it won't work, if you can tighten it enough for the rubber seal to do its part, it won't leak.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NPT stands for national pipe thread. Meaning that the thread is tapered.

The plastic component is designed to fit onto a water hose spigot that is not tapered and requires a rubber gasket to seal.

Even though the threads are the same pitch, the fit will be wrong.

Not to say that it won't work, if you can tighten it enough for the rubber seal to do its part, it won't leak.
Is there something at Lowe’s that will work that I can go get now? I would appreciate it if you can link me the item. I ordered this from Amazon https://a.co/d/cci827u coming tomorrow.

Edit: thanks for the quick response btw!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you want is a feed water adapter.

Yeleah Feed Water Adapter Angle Stop Adapter Valve 3/8 X 3/8 X 1/4 Inch Compression Tee Stop Valve Fitting Water Line Splitter Valve Adapter For Reverse Osmosis Refrigerator Ice Maker https://a.co/d/crordTP

Generally your angle stop will be compression, not MIP. Though some exist.

You will disconnect the supply line to the cold water supply from the angle stop. Next, attach The feed water adapter on the angle stop, place the cold water line back to the sink on the top of the feed water adapter (the 3/8 compression) and then the 1/4 part to your reverse osmosis. I hope that makes sense.

This is the monstrosity underneath my sink.
PXL_20240428_233128863.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there something at Lowe’s that will work that I can go get now? I would appreciate it if you can link me the item. I ordered this from Amazon https://a.co/d/cci827u coming tomorrow.

Edit: thanks for the quick response btw!
Yup see above post. Tell them you want a feed water adapter 3/8 by 3/8 by quarter. If Lowe's doesn't have it, stop shopping there.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup see above post. Tell them you want a feed water adapter 3/8 by 3/8 by quarter. If Lowe's doesn't have it, stop shopping there.
I don’t think they have nothing local. Looks like I have to order it online. I think the one I bought from Amazon should work.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think they have nothing local. Looks like I have to order it online. I think the one I bought from Amazon should work.
If you have an Ace hardware nearby, they will likely have it. The smaller stores tend to have a lot of lease fittings in stock.
Just call them and ask for a feed water adapter 3/8 by 3/8 by 1/4.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two things, first of all these are compression fittings so don't wrap any tape or anything on them.
Number two, your plumber used a SharkBite angle stop. That's a failure point. It should be crimp or cold expansion.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Ace hardware nearby, they will likely have it. The smaller stores tend to have a lot of lease fittings in stock.
Just call them and ask for a feed water adapter 3/8 by 3/8 by 1/4.
I want to completely by pass the sink and just hook it up straight to the rodi from that pipe. Anything I can buy for that?

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that means.

A feed water adapter hooks up to the angle stop not the faucet.
Sorry new to all this. I’m connecting the rodi to my bathroom sinks cold water line not the faucet itself. I was wondering if there was something that’s just 1/4 to 3/8 so I can just connect the rodi directly to that cold water line. Hope that makes sense.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry new to all this. I’m connecting the rodi to my bathroom sinks cold water line not the faucet itself. I was wondering if there was something that’s just 1/4 to 3/8 so I can just connect the rodi directly to that cold water line. Hope that makes sense.
This is not a normal thing to do. You would hook it up the way I explained then when you want to use you'd open a valve to make RO water.

But I guess you'd need 3/8 to 1/4 compression reducer. This is not going to be a common item.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240429_214814.jpg
I just did what you are describing. This is in my bedroom under my sink. 3/8 with 1/4 tube connector

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back