January 2013 Reef2Reef Membership Drive give a way sponsored by The Alternative Reef!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

House

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to post a friendly hello, so...

Hello! (in a friendly manner)

Lindsey1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby. I'm learning a ton everyday, especially with help from all of you! Is this like a decoration type piece or is this live rock? Either way, good luck everyone! :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby. I'm learning a ton everyday, especially with help from all of you! Is this like a decoration type piece or is this live rock? Either way, good luck everyone! :)

Welcome and it it is real !

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to Reef2Reef, good luck in the contest!

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

It is not live rock. It is a hand made sculpture for your reef tank or fish only tank. It is a ceramic structure that in time will act as the foundation for your aquarium. It will need to be seeded with bacteria before it can colonize and help as a living filter. It is an alternative to live rock. It takes a little longer to get going but you will not have the smell, die off and ammonia spike like you would adding fresh liverock to a tank. The structure sits on a stand so it does not compact the sand bed. It also has a lot of nooks and crannies for fish to swim and hide in.

Some consider it art. I consider it functional. It doesn't need to be stacked, wont tumble and is pretty much drop in and done. You still have to do your water changes and keep the light cycle down until the bacteria can get a foothold. A couple mexican turbo's usually keep these pretty clean until coralline starts growing. They do not need curing but they do go through a cycle just like anything you add to an aquarium.

I will walk the winner through all the steps, which are not many.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to show you how you can hide the stand and how unique the look is I put a couple of pillars into my empty cube tank. This piece will not tip over. The colored pillars are still in testing and not available yet. We are testing to make sure the color holds up and will not fade under saltwater conditions. Or have adverse effects on livestock. We are pretty confident they are fine.
DSC_0126-6_zps94b18287.jpg

DSC_0125-7_zps5efacee3.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to show you how you can hide the stand and how unique the look is I put a couple of pillars into my empty cube tank. This piece will not tip over. The colored pillars are still in testing and not available yet. We are testing to make sure the color holds up and will not fade under saltwater conditions. Or have adverse effects on livestock. We are pretty confident they are fine.

I like these a lot and if you need a review of them done I will gladly do so for you. I have a question though ... how porous is this material so bacteria can colonize it in large numbers ? Thanks for your response.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This naked pillars will bubble like alka seltzer with all the air that escapes from the pillar. We make them as thin as possible without sacrificing strength. By keeping them for the most part under an inch thick you have more surface area per volume of say a six inch thick piece of liverock. We fire them to a point where they are rock solid but still porous. That being said they are not liverock, they do not contain all the little bugs liverock does. It also doesn't have the bad stuff like aptaisia and majano's either.

One of the downfalls to the colors is this may effect to a small degree the porosity since I fire these hotter. This makes them less porous. There is still a ton of surface area and the structures are porous. Just not as much.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This naked pillars will bubble like alka seltzer with all the air that escapes from the pillar. We make them as thin as possible without sacrificing strength. By keeping them for the most part under an inch thick you have more surface area per volume of say a six inch thick piece of liverock. We fire them to a point where they are rock solid but still porous. That being said they are not liverock, they do not contain all the little bugs liverock does. It also doesn't have the bad stuff like aptaisia and majano's either.

One of the downfalls to the colors is this may effect to a small degree the porosity since I fire these hotter. This makes them less porous. There is still a ton of surface area and the structures are porous. Just not as much.

Thanks for the clarification Gooch. Much appreciated and yes I did realize that it is not live rock ... and so no pests or HH's.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didn't even know of this and just signed up this morning! Would love to get this for my 33L. It would give me a reason to rescape alittle and buy more frags!!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back