JBJ 45g - Hydra 26 HD or 52 HD

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else chimed in that a 26 worked well over their 60 cube (24x24x24")...and later it worked well over half of their 75 gal.

My Last Word On The Prime (and 26)
I'm still not saying the Prime is the best option...that depends.

A prime is supposed to cover that space and depth OK and overlap would make another peak lighting zone.

primeHD_parChart_24in.png

This graphic is supposed to be a Prime HD at 24" from the light through air, not water.

Over the OP's tank, he'd want the Primes at about 10" off the water if he wanted to keep all the light in the tank, so the PAR numbers would be more than double what the chart says. A peak of 200-300 PAR down to around 100 at the edges, plus a boost from any overlap or internally reflected light.

@hart24601 had some great pics of a Prime array for a tank that I think was a similar size to this. Well, bigger, but similar...he had five Primes, IIRC.

Good point on the mounting hardware - I hadn't though of that and it actually does add significantly to the cost. :eek: Quite significantly!

Let's Look At The 52
A Hydra 52 would have to be mounted at about 15" off the water to fully cover the tank from side to side. This causes a lot more light spill (wasted energy AND annoying) over the front and back of the tank though.

Not a factor with multiple Primes.

Some Diagrams
These are all "mathematically correct" and in proportion with the light set up as described.

First is the 52HD, then a two different configurations of Prime HD's.

Below that is a depiction of the Orbit Pro just for reference.

It's worth pointing out that lighting the back part of the tank will have algae grown within the filter compartment.

45rimless_26x16.jpg

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll do you know much about the AquaSanrise line sold by Reefbreeders? Looking at the Plus R60 model.

Leaning towards trying it out for a few reasons. Price, WiFi app programmable on phone so no extra controller needed, included mounts, 2-year warranty, etc... just not much reviews or feedback on them at all.

thanks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems decent.

Does this seem better to you than that Current model I mentioned a few times?

It's great that the light has a 2 year warranty, and Reefbreeders has been around for a little while now. Definite pluses.

However, the $400 cost makes me double-take though. For perspective, the DIY design I use would only cost you about from $30 to $60 and it works well. Granted it'a plain-Jane-make-your-corals-happy design, but going from $60 to $400 is a pretty serious jump if niceties is the main difference.

FYI, The Current version in a similar size is on sale for $180 right now. The 24" is only $233. It's still a pretty serious jump from these prices to $300.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so I ordered the SB Reef Lights - sBox Extreme 16" Wifi.

I wasn't feeling the Current and this model is right in line with the price of the Current at $250 considering built in WiFi controllable with app, built in bracket, etc.
They seem to have a pretty good reputation. I know there is the Mars Aqua which is cheaper/similar but this seems to have some upgrades to justify the difference.

Appreciate the input @mcarroll ... hopefully I don't regret the choice.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the SB order didn't work out. I ended up getting a good deal on Hydra 26 HD.

Only had one so I'll go with that for now.

Might bother you @jsker for some settings. Not sure if I'll use the Kessil gooseneck I have or look for another mounting option.

Will be selling Kessel 160we with controller as soon as this arrives.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MrD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would get two separate hydra 26's vs a hydra 52. I like having the light coming from different angles. The hydra's are great lights in my opinion but LED's are point source lights and don't provide the same spread as bulbs.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucked... got the Hydra 26 HD today. It was from eBay, user said was never used just plugged in to make sure it worked.... it doesn't. Been dealing on eBay since the beginning and this is the first time I've ever had to open up a resolution request.

Back to square one! :mad:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back