JBJ 65 gallon aio tank questions

lukedauito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to saltwater but not new to aquariums and in the process of starting up a reef tank.

I came across the jbj black 65 gallon rimless aio at Petco.
I have the vital care 20% plus a couple coupons and my total would be 1162.99 shipped. This includes the stand as well.

i feel like after everything I have looked at for aio tanks this is the best deal I have found by far.

I understand I will be spending more on other equipment, but I have two mp40s that are a previous model. Have an rodi filter as well. And 3 questionable non hd hydra 64s.

Would like to see other peoples opinions on this.

does anyone have jbj aquariums and how is the quality?

I like bigger tanks, and but is starting with a 65 gallon too much ? They have a 45 gallon cube aio, I just don’t like the aio setup, maybe I’m wrong about that and someone can chime in there. There’s a photo of the 45 gallon cube aio back. i would like to at least fit 1-2 heaters, maybe a skimmer, and some media.

Also dimensions of the 65 gallon chambers are:

1: 4.53 x 4.72 in
2: 5.91 x 4.72 in
3: 12.56 x 4.72

Dimensions of the 45 gallon chambers are:
1: 4.53 x 4.72
2: 3.5 x 4.72
3: 8.03 x 4.72

In terms of getting the full experience, say more equipment down the road and experimenting and learning, its clear choice to get the 65 gallon right?

please any other inputs would be greatly appreciated

A9DBF825-0C13-41C6-9548-326BECD043DD.jpeg
FFF6FEC7-EB36-4823-B408-16FB67AB740A.jpeg 0B391567-CA0C-4C0D-9D0C-2813EA78CD9C.jpeg

Last edited:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is probably not the best, especially if it gets wet... particle board I'd imagine.

Will always been handicapped by not having a sump, but I don't think for 65 gallons it'll be the end of the world.

Thinking of doing a small species specific tank and will probably do AIO.

Only experience I've had with AIO is the 20 gallon frag tank I had running for before coral went in the display. It ran super stable and had zero issues to be honest.

The 470 and 150 frag were with sumps, lots more work IMO, but a lot more flexibilty.

The price is good for size and a stand though.

OP
OP
L

lukedauito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is probably not the best, especially if it gets wet... particle board I'd imagine.

Will always been handicapped by not having a sump, but I don't think for 65 gallons it'll be the end of the world.

Thinking of doing a small species specific tank and will probably do AIO.

Only experience I've had with AIO is the 20 gallon frag tank I had running for before coral went in the display. It ran super stable and had zero issues to be honest.

The 470 and 150 frag were with sumps, lots more work IMO, but a lot more flexibilty.

The price is good for size and a stand though.
Thank you for your response,

I emailed the support for JBJ to figure out what the material of the stands are.

From what I have gathered is basically AIO to start and then in the future down if you decide to upgrade get a sump.

This will be my first salt water tank, so I am mainly focused on the full experience and will be a mixed reef. Live stock will be hardy beginner fish and corals.

I entertained a 40 gallon breeder build, and after my research and just cost analysis, it made more sense to me personally to spend some extra money for a setup that will be guaranteed by a distributor in terms of warranty and not risk breaking any equipment in the process DIYing a 40 gallon.

My initial go to was going to be a IM Pro 2 40 Gallon which ends up being around the same price as this 65 gallon JBJ after shipping. I will look back into that more as well. I really like the IM stands as well.

I am very hesitant on buying used gear until I really figure out what I am looking for, but there is a red sea 350 set up around me for 1700 bucks (includes a sump but I don't know if i want to make that large of an investment his early on in the hobby, maybe if I can get a could deal that would change my mind). And a couple established setups, but I personally want the process of setting up and learning saltwater from the very beginning.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 jbj. I am about to move and I will be replacing the stand as the very first thing I do. It does hold the weight of the tank, but as someone mentioned above, not great if it gets wet. I can confirm it is particle board. So far, I love the tank and would highly recommend it- just look into another stand or building one.

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be too late, but here are my thoughts. I’ve had the JBJ 65 for 2.5 years. I love the tank, but would probably do things differently if I was doing it over. First, no problem starting with the 65 as your first. Second, actual water volume is significantly less than 65 gallons. Volume within the display is a little over 45 gallons. Unless you’re set on an AIO, I would suggest looking at water box. Simple sump underneath, more total water volume, more water volume in the display, and similar physical footprint. If you do go with JBJ, I’m sure you’ll also be happy.

TheNemDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a short time JBJ 65 owner for less than a year now. I've enjoyed it quite a bit and love that it has a larger back chamber compartment with dual overflows. Overall it is a simple tank with little needed to get it running good.

Things I've added to make it more to my liking is adding 2 spin stream nossles, 2 InTank overflow adjusters, and a adjustable DC return pump replacing the 2 stock ones. Also I did go with a custom stand that is a little taller and built with better quality plywood.

I like AIO aquariums and have had a few, this one is my favorite. It allows me to have a 5 gallon bucket worth of chaeto on one side and have a decent skimmer with reactor on the other. So far so good in my opinion.

Back