Votes: 32 14.7%

• Total voters

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my basement sump aquarist what are your feelings on using a Jeabo DCP 18000? I have approximately 280 gallons of water approximately 16’ from my pump to my return. As of right now I use a Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda hybrid but I really want a DC pump. Abyzz is my dream but at $2200 a pop it’s not in the cards. So hello Jeabo. Is it worth it? I don’t know... I run one on my stand alone 65 gallon seahorse stable and it works great. Thoughts? Suggestions? Is there an alternative or don’t fix what’s not broken? I want DC because I believe it will use less wattage and because I want to control flow for feed modes (current way just shuts the pump off and makes all kinds of noise)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with jeabo products, I know a lot of people call them junk but I have one wave maker from them that has been running nonstop without cleaning for two and a half years in one of my nanos

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used their power heads for years now and am pleased with them so far. If I buy 2, I usually end up losing 1 after a year or two, but since they are only $50 a pop, I expect that.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect to and usually get a year or two out of a powerhead. They provide great flow and are cheap so I keep using them. My skimmer runs off one of the DC pumps and the first one died in less than a month but the replacement has been fine.

OP
OP
Justin84

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is using that pump for my life support for a large setup. I’m willing to gamble and having the EB832 as a power backup and a leak detector would be great for any issues (That goes for any setup) so I’ll probably give it a go. I have owned 2 Jeabo products and one I didn’t feel comfortable (the dosing pump kept losing accurate time)

Surferarnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jaboe dosing pump. . It emptied a little over a half a gallon of mag, alk and calcium solution all at once. I went to check the tank and it looked like milk.

Had to mix tap water and perform emergency water changes. Still having problems with hair alge because if it. Luckly i didnt loose any of my fish or sps.

Smashed it with a hammer and bought a kamore. Its superior in every way.
You get what you pay for.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their pumps and wavemakers seem to be very hit or miss. I won't say they're junk or anything like that, because tons of people have used them for long periods of time without issue. I've personally used a PP-4 for over 2 years on a tank and had zero issues with it. I even went though a year period of autopilot where it didn't get cleaned or touched and it just kept going. They definitely aren't built as well as some other pumps, but they're also substantially cheaper. People will complain, but we're talking about a $50 wavemaker here. In many cases, you can buy 4+ of these for the price of a competing brand.

You always see the wavemakers compared to Vortechs (what I use now), but I honestly don't think that's a great comparison. Feature for feature, I think Jebao vs Tunze makes more sense. Both of these pumps have a narrow, turbulent, more direct flow with a few different pulse options. With a Vortech, you have a much wider and less turbulent flow with more control options. I'm not saying the Jebao is built anywhere near as well as the Tunze wavemakers, but they're very similar in regards to their control and how they move water.

OP
OP
Justin84

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So anyone have a basement or a large my run sump? If so what do you use as a return pump?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've bought 5 jeabo pumps and 1 arrived dead, 3 others died with in 6 months.
All I want is a salt mixing pump. It's not like I'm stressing them out.
Junk IMO.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So anyone have a basement or a large my run sump? If so what do you use as a return pump?

I use a Panworld 150 PS for return on my basement sump. Same as Blueline, just branded different name. Excellent pressure pump for the money. Patterned after Iwaki's. Iwaki's is a tried and true brand that has been around forever. Both Panworld and iwaki's are bullet proof.

On a different note, I use jabeo's for wave makers and have had nothing but great performance out of them.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, for a large tank, with a long return (and bigger diameter piping), I would use a pressure rated pump like Panworld or Iwaki.

Don't know much about Jebao, but I would use something meant for that kind of haul.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, for a large tank, with a long return (and bigger diameter piping), I would use a pressure rated pump like Panworld or Iwaki.

Don't know much about Jebao, but I would use something meant for that kind of haul.

Yes, they are a beast and don't require a seal that needs replacing like the reeflo hammer head/cuda.

OP
OP
Justin84

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Reeflo running for about a year and it’s rock solid, it’s tuned way down also. I use 1 1/2” flex PVC and 2” double union ball valves for ease of a change out. I do keep a brand new one and I have backup seal and bearing just in case as well. I just would like some type of control besides on and off. But I am a equip junkie (aka control freak...)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Reeflo running for about a year and it’s rock solid, it’s tuned way down also. I use 1 1/2” flex PVC and 2” double union ball valves for ease of a change out. I do keep a brand new one and I have backup seal and bearing just in case as well. I just would like some type of control besides on and off. But I am a equip junkie (aka control freak...)

Okay. My control is a ball valve that's teed off the main return line. I can adjust the flow going upstairs by turning the valve. Also it allows me to run a manifold off the return pump when needed. KISS is what I like.

DSC_0031.JPG

Jackony

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way I have lost a Jeabo powerhead is running them at full power. Burned through 3 real quick before I realized full power was burning them out. I was able to exchange those. Have had one running 60-80% 2+ years now. Will buy again when needed.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue for years with many jebao pumps, never cleaning too. But if I was running from a basement, I would buy a pump meant for that pressure like has been said. I did switch to gyres and like the flow much more, but perfectly happy with their returns.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about big return pumps is out of my league. I did just order 2 jebao power heads They work great ,but the jury is still out. Can't beat the price. I'm using a Reef Octo Water Blaster for a return for my 180 . This pump pushes a lot of water & very quiet.

Back