Jellyfish?

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these in my pod tank a few weeks after purchasing pods harvested from the ocean. I'm glad I didn't put the contents directly in my DT. I don't know exactly what they are. I am including tank pics and some under the microscope. So cool!

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics. I'm working on catching them and getting rid of them, but Can anyone identify them for sure?

IMG_4388.1.jpg

IMG_4390.1.jpg

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look like the one's I've seen posted on here before.

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda proud of those microscope pics. I literally put my iPhone up to the eyepiece, lol.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I take my microscope pictures too. Your photos are gorgeous. There's a kajillion different "types" of medusae and I feel that's indeed what those are.

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea about how to get rid of them? Manual removal hasn't helped. There's so many of them.

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not in my DT, they're in my 10 gal pod tank. My pod tank is only 2 months old. I really don't need it though because my DT and sump are crawling with pods. I recently got a mandarin and am trying to fatten him up and ensure a good supply. Although now he eats frozen mysis and live brine!

I have nothing but pods and hydroids in the contaminated tank. I would like to move some macro algae from that tank to the sump but I can't now because it's full of bad stuff.

CNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What became of the tiny jellyfish situation? I just found one in my tank and was trying to find photos online matching it, but now that I see yours, I am pretty sure they are the same. I, however, am delighted to find them and curious if yours turned out as bad as you apparently feared. Yours seem to be more developed and apparently much larger than mine, which measures 1mm now and I think was about half that when I first spotted one.

h.mb

h.mb

I posted some more microscope photos and videos of mine on my blog: https://votecharlie.com/blog/2017/02/tiny-jellyfish.html

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're just medusea hydroids as Renee states above they will come and go as the tank matures.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pod tank is only 2 months old.

That will actually change my answer a little bit. They are going to be a little harder to get rid of because you're feeding them. I had them all the time in my seahorse breeding tanks because those tanks were basically like pod havens.

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred everything to a larger tank, neglected it, and now have a nuisance algae factory.

Back