Jenyphur's Red Sea REEFER MAX 300 G2+ Build

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update...The good and the bad (sad).

Well...things have been progressing slowly. I am a bit frustrated with the usual stuff...some uglies still with some longer hair algae. Just ordered some more clean up crew to help this out.

The sad news is that about a week ago Henrietta (pygmy hawkfish) stopped eating and within a few days she was really struggling with what I think was an internal parasite or infection. She was upside down for days, I set up a qt tank to try and treat her and she really did try and fight it but refused to eat and eventually succumbed. Ughghghgh ...breaks my heart. There were moments when I just wanted to end her suffering but every morning she would still be alive so I just kept trying for her. I know this sounds weird but I buried her in my backyard by a pretty little red flowering bush. I miss her.

The positive...

I have 3 new occupants. I am in love with all 3 of them. I ordered them about a month ago from Dr. Reefs Quarantined (because I didn't have a qt tank back then) and they are all doing great. Such great adidtions to my tank. They are:
- Flame Angel (Phoebe)
- Bi-color blenny (we just call him Paint)
- Midas blenny...soooooo cute. He is just awesome. Haven't named him yet. When I first added him he went directly to Dusty's cave (diamond goby) and went straight in kicking Dusty out. About an hour later, Dusty went in and kicked him out. Then the next morning I found him in a cute little hole in the rocks at the top of my rock structure. He just sits up there and watches everything...he's so fricken cute.

Everyone is eating well and crusing around the tank...so nice to see some more action in the tank. I definitely want to get the algae under control a bit more as some of my corals (zoas) are struggling. :(.

There are times when this tank puts me close to tears or into a fetal position but the last few days have been really nice and peaceful.

I want more beautiful coral....and a few more fish.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a wrasse (6 line) and possibly a tomini tang?
Check yellow coris wrasse to. They are stunning and good for pests.

Attachments

• 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad when we lose a fishy friend but you did your best for him. I tried small bristletooth tang early on and the tank was just to small for him. He swam around stressed in panic mode the whole time. I really think 4' tank is minimum size for a tomini to be ok but some have had success with smaller tanks.
Yes I think you are right. Definitely don’t want a stressed out fish. Good advice. Thank you.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a mixed reef...I have never had any sps and I know I'm not ready to have them yet but eventually. :)
There are a good selection of easy SPS for first year tanks. Once you get past the uglies. The secret is adding diversified bacteria and biome. That will also help a lot with establishing your tank and the uglies… A bonus with easy SPS is they can keep down your nutrients.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back