Joby’s 60 gallon cube build

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. I figured I’d post my cube build to help document my re-entry into the reef world. My first reef attempt was in the about 20 years ago. I ran it for about 5 years, but it was overrun with cyano and was eventually torn down when I moved houses. I consider it a failed reef that became a FOWLR.

I ended up buying my cousins custom cube that he tore down when he moved into his new house. It is a custom 3/8” thick Starfire glass cube with built in overflow. Custom sump with refugium, skimmer, gfo reactor and bio pellet reactor, ATO, original ApexJr and eb4.

I built 2 rock structures using a box of real reef ready mix mini and a box of Carib sea shapes. I put little feet on the structures so they could sit flat on the bottom of the glass.
IMG_3418.jpeg

I did not have a large container so I mixed the water in the tank.
IMG_3427.jpeg

Added Carib sea speacial grade live sand which completely clouded up the tank for a couple days. In hindsight, I should have rinsed it because I am sure it will cloud the tank everytime I clean it.

IMG_3485.jpeg

I added microbacter7 for the next 7 days and then dosed it with Dr. Tims one and only so I could add fish.

IMG_3522.jpeg

AquaSD was having their grand opening so I really only wanted to start with 2 clowns, but their special was buy 2 get 1 free so I ended up taking home a free flame hawk. In addition to buy one get one, they had a special goodie bag for the first 50 customers which contained a frag. I did not intend to turn on the lights or put any coral into my new tank, but it was a “gift.” I don’t even know what it is. Any ideas?

IMG_3567.jpeg

Here is the tank witha gen3 xr30 pro. I don’t know how to take iPhone photos without it looking completely blued out.

IMG_3534.jpeg

Currently have a gyre jump 2K in there because BRS had a super sale on them, but going with 2 MP40s because I don’t like the power cord in the tank. I hope to have a successful reef this time. “Trying” to take it slow. Please let me know what y’all think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joby619

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also finally found a way to take pictures of the tank without it being completely blued out. I ordered a new apex dos from fishandcoralstoredotcom and they sent a couple of free items like a stickers, measuring shot glass etc. One of the freebies was a pair of orange glasses that work amazing for the tank!!!

IMG_3717.jpeg
IMG_3718.jpeg

OP
OP
joby619

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happen was… I noticed that aquaSD had a couple of hammers that I wanted on eBay so I figured I bid on a couple and probably maybe win 1 or 2 items. I ended up winning 7 items . Patience is not my strong suit, but hopefully the tank is ready enough.
IMG_3743.jpeg

OP
OP
joby619

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice torch. The picture and video are way to blurry to correctly identify it. Can you try to get a clearer video?
I tried to get better images but it’s just way too small. Kind of looks like it’s playing peekaboo. What kind of hitch hiker does that?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back