kalkwasser top off

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get everything ready to leave my tank at my parents house when i go to school in the fall. I want to get an auto top off for sure, but I don’t know if I want to get an auto doser. I have heard many people that have had great results topping off with kalkwasser mixed into their RODI water. Would this be enough to maintain a mixed reef tank? Or should I get an auto doser as well? I don’t want to have them doing water changes on this tank to make it as easy as possible for them to maintain.

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk can definitely keep up with a mixed reef in most cases. However you need to test alk consistently at least until you dial in the amount of kalk per gallon. If you don't leave till fall it should be plenty of time.
just bought the hanna alk and calcium testers. probably do a water change then dont dose for a week and see how both drop to estimate the usage of both in tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought the hanna alk and calcium testers. probably do a water change then dont dose for a week and see how both drop to estimate the usage of both in tank?

That’s a reasonable approach. Just remember that the daily demand drops as the alk drops. It may stop dropping entirely at about 6 dKH.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would do a water change. Fill your ATO resorvoir and set a small amount of kalk in it. Something like 1 teaspoon every 3-4 gallons (I used a 5 gallon bucket and filled it to 4 gallons every time and this was how I started). Let it run.

Test after 24 hours, then 48, then 72. If your alk is declining you know to add more kalk to the next batch, if it is rising you know to decrease the kalk.

Its pretty simple, 2 tsp per gallon is max and it takes a pretty stony reef to gobble that much up.

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a water change. Fill your ATO resorvoir and set a small amount of kalk in it. Something like 1 teaspoon every 3-4 gallons (I used a 5 gallon bucket and filled it to 4 gallons every time and this was how I started). Let it run.

Test after 24 hours, then 48, then 72. If your alk is declining you know to add more kalk to the next batch, if it is rising you know to decrease the kalk.

Its pretty simple, 2 tsp per gallon is max and it takes a pretty stony reef to gobble that much up.

+1

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully run my system this way. Takes a little time to dial in, but works well.

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk works but isn't the most precise and I'm not sure I'd want to trust an automated tank that's needs to be on autopilot to it.
hahaha unfortunately gonna have to do so. everyone in my family is pretty busy and i’ll only be able to help troubleshoot via facetime if anything goes wrong

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully run my system this way. Takes a little time to dial in, but works well.
looking into auto top offs now so I can get start getting this all going. probably going to make everything easier to maintain as well instead of having to dose and do top offs myself

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any SPS corals?

Honestly, I don’t think this is a great approach for leaving the tank for weeks at a time. I would get rid of any SPS and then let the tank go without dosing while you are gone, or set up a very small amount of 2 part on dosing pumps. If you aren’t there to monitor calcium and alkalinity I feel like it’s dangerous to dose it. LPS and softies will survive without dosing, the LPS will just slow their growth.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking into auto top offs now so I can get start getting this all going. probably going to make everything easier to maintain as well instead of having to dose and do top offs myself

I've used a electronic float switch for decades. Autotopoff.com double. Been rock soild for decades.

http://autotopoff.com/Standard/index.html

My tank is primarily SPS and LPS and only supplement alkalinity once in a blue moon. Been using kalkwasser in my ATO topoff reservoir as long as I've been in the hobby. No two part, no calcium reactor.

DSC_0163.JPG

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a electronic float switch for decades. Autotopoff.com double. Been rock soild for decades.

http://autotopoff.com/Standard/index.html

My tank is primarily SPS and LPS and only supplement alkalinity once in a blue moon. Been using kalkwasser in my ATO topoff reservoir as long as I've been in the hobby. No two part, no calcium reactor.

DSC_0163.JPG
tank looks great, love the look of GSP on a bare bottom

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is the Tear of Reefing Gods ! The benefits of dosing kalk outweighs everything else in my book .

Personally I would like to keep kalk separate and dose through peristaltic pump and make sure I dose less than my everyday top off requirement .
Evaporation varies with season especially where I live and hence to maintain consistency I use kalk separate from top off .

If you are starting out , you can do top off water and later once you have a good hold on dosing kalk look into better and more efficient ways to maintain more stability .

Regards,
Abhishek

Back