Kalkwasser

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the sump...

The kalk goes in the middle chamber (~7gal) and the ph probe is in the next chamber(~5gal) that also has the return pump.

I've got the return pump throttled back so it takes a bit to cycle through and equalize.

You will see some deposits in the sump over time, but that's not likely a big deal. :)

Last edited:

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishmaster818: The Apex Fusion program has a data log function that also graphs your entries. I measure Alk and PO4 regularly to see trends and the graph helps put it in perspective.

Regarding Kalk, the graph also helps me to decide how much lime to add. Without the vinegar to allow more to saturate it wasn't enough. Now I'm a tad strong and literally seeing PH swings from the volume being added in batches(vs a drip).

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I'm curious about the "deposits" that remain in the reservoir...is that "residual" or undissolved lime?

I need to figure out how to set this up for my 25days (straight) on the road and was thinking "a big trashcan" with "more lime than can dissolve" and hook up the RODI to a floatvalve to keep the trashcan topped off....and maybe put a powerhead in it and program the APex to turn the powerhead on for a minute every other hour?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You will see some deposits int eh sump over time, but that's not likely a big deal. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

What do you think about the idea of putting more lime in the ATO reservoir than can be dissolved and using a float valve to keep topping off the ATO reservoir?
Would the 'extra lime' be diluted by the 'top off'?
Would running a power head in the reservoir a couple minutes an hour make a difference?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need to stir it up occasionally, otherwise it probably won't dissolve much. Not once an hour but maybe once after you estimate a quarter of the reservoir has been replaced. Too much stirring drives in CO2 and depletes the lime.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back