Keeping alk/cal stable

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am having trouble keeping my alk/cal stable I use redsea "coral pro salt" i dos both soda ash and calcium chloride. I have a red sea 625 xxl G2 which is 164 total volume tank and i do auto water change all threw the day "1 gallon a day" lighty stocked with 2 lps coral and a few fish for now my neptune does make it stable but it only gets unstable when i do a water change and yes my dosing is down stream from test ports any ideals or anyone else experince salt not being as advertised. I am using right at 200 ml of both a day to make up for the water changes. Thanks.

1696892871980.png

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why run the alk so high? And probably have better luck with the blue bucket. I used the black bucket and it was mixing at 13dkh and was a nightmare so I moved on to a better salt for myself which is way more stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it only gets unstable when i do a water change

Can you clarify what you mean by unstable (there is no scale on your graph) and what water changes you are referring to?

Changing 1 gallon per day all at once with a total volume of 164 gallons cannot lead to significant instability. Even if the salt mix had zero alk in it, a change of 1 gallon would only drop alk from 8.85 dKH to 8.80 dKH, which is not any sort of problem.

OP
OP
fishrambo

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly yes it’s just a 1 gallon a day I will post a graph to compare with later when I get home and what I mean by unstable is that my number’s seem to hold pretty decent until I do that water change.

OP
OP
fishrambo

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why run the alk so high? And probably have better luck with the blue bucket. I used the black bucket and it was mixing at 13dkh and was a nightmare so I moved on to a better salt for myself which is way more stable.
To help with PH

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case what does effect those parameters.

I cannot think of any way except test error that a less than 1% water change causes a measurable difference in alk, calcium, or magnesium, since none of those can be measured accurately to 1% precision with the methods we use.

OP
OP
fishrambo

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot think of any way except test error that a less than 1% water change causes a measurable difference in alk, calcium, or magnesium, since none of those can be measured accurately to 1% precision with the methods we use.
Yeah I’m thinking about getting a back up test kit and measure against the apex thanks for your input.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back