Kessil alone or Kessil + Blades?

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure there are some reefers who already went through this question and I'd like to read your experiences.

Tank is a RS Reefer 1000. 260gal (1000lts) mixed reef but SPS heavy.
Tank is 210cm (roughly 83in) long and 68cm (roughly 27in) wide.
I already have 3x Kessil AP9X (hanging) and now that corals are growing more I started having some shades issues. So I decided to add some more light to the tank, and after looking at what's out there my options are 2: (since Im keeping my Kessils and not moving to a complete different set of lamps, ie Radions or ATI)

- Get 2 more AP9X for a total of 5.
Easy, I hang the extra 2s and move the other 3 so I get a more complete coverage.
This is also the cheaper option. 2x lamps and 2x sets of hangers.

- Get some AI Blades for the front and the back and leave the Kessils in the middle. If I go this way Ill need some more recommendations.
Do I get only Grows? Or should I get Grows and Glows?
The longest are 66in, I could go for one in the front and one in the back. (Not full length coverage)
Or I could go with 4x 39in, two in the front and 2 in the back. (lamps will overlap the euro brace but Ill get coverage side to side)
Does anyone make a hybrid Kessil+Blade mount? Any other ideas on how to hang them?

Thanks all!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Kessil AX9, I have two over a temporary set up and they kept the coral happy and looking good. I would get two more, having used them myself and in your situation they are a thrifty option and easier to install, so it’s a no brainer from my corner.

If you want a different look in the tank then adding the blades is in the middle will give you another look, the blade is also a good lantern but getting a n even coverage may be more challenging?

Back