KH Carer Review and Experience

Constantin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used unit, freshly upgraded with the nozzle upgrade kit, available in the marketplace if anyone needs one.
May I ask why you are selling yours? I live in Switzerland. So I guess shipping and Imports costs etc. exceed the delta to a new one.
Best, C

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a KH Carer set up last week. It’s integrated into a Hydros collective. I know how to set up dynamic dosing through Hydros, but how do I go about using the pump in the Carer to handle the buffer? Does it dose dynamically? I can’t find much info out there…

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a KH Carer set up last week. It’s integrated into a Hydros collective. I know how to set up dynamic dosing through Hydros, but how do I go about using the pump in the Carer to handle the buffer? Does it dose dynamically? I can’t find much info out there…
I have mine set up to dose via the pump in the KH Carer via the app. Just put in what you are using and the dosage to change the alk. It does the rest. Seems to work. You can set limits on how much it can dose at once, max daily dosage and how close together. Pretty easy to use IMO.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set up to dose via the pump in the KH Carer via the app. Just put in what you are using and the dosage to change the alk. It does the rest. Seems to work. You can set limits on how much it can dose at once, max daily dosage and how close together. Pretty easy to use IMO.
Is your alk chart pretty steady? I’m currently just dosing equal ml’s once an hour and my alk stays between 8.5 and 9.0dkh.

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your alk chart pretty steady? I’m currently just dosing equal ml’s once an hour and my alk stays between 8.5 and 9.0dkh.
It stays at about 8 dKH using BRS’s soda ash. Minimal swing throughout the day. Minor blip due to me changing out the testing reagent and had to recalibrate the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 70

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stays at about 8 dKH using BRS’s soda ash. Minimal swing throughout the day. Minor blip due to me changing out the testing reagent and had to recalibrate the machine.
So you just enter in the total amount allowed to dose per day, and the Carer calculates how much to dose based off last test? Is there a dosing log you can screenshot?

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you just enter in the total amount allowed to dose per day, and the Carer calculates how much to dose based off last test? Is there a dosing log you can screenshot?
Yes, it’s automated.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 36

Asulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get this stable readings.
MY KH-Carer runns for a week now and I tested with reference. Swings about 0.8….i tried everything.

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get this stable readings.
MY KH-Carer runns for a week now and I tested with reference. Swings about 0.8….i tried everything.
This is what I have done. YMMV. My main system made up of multiple tanks for a total of 225 gallons of actual water. I hooked them all together because larger volumes don’t tend to fluctuate as much. I initially just used a calcium reactor dosing 24/7 to get the alkalinity to stay in the ballpark of about 1 dKH, but that was too much of a swing for good growth. I added the KH Carer for the fine tuning to reduce the amplitude of swings those swings (testing every 6 hours) and have not regretted it. I make my on reagent using cheap muriatic acid, so it’s pennies a test now. If I notice the KH Carer has to dose soda ash after every test, I up the dose from my calcium reactor or the amount of CO2 being input. It might be months before needing to adjust anything on the reactor though. I use the Kamoer STP2 continuous doser to control the drip rate for the reactor. I also check the test results with my Hanna Alkalinity tester once every month or two just to make sure the test results aren’t drifting. The KH Carer reminds me when to recalibrate everything, which I found useful. Anyway, that is what I’ve been doing. My only issue with this setup is that my pH is lower which is typical to using a calcium reactor. That said, my acro frags are growing and colored up so not messing with something that isn’t broken. Hope this was useful.

Asulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything?
Sure, 24/7 - 2 Part Solution. My readings with Hanna are stuck at 7,7 in the morning and in the evening.
I don't even get stable values with a reference. Surely this should remain the same repeatedly?

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know when you change hoses and whats the sizes of the hoses? I think that is what wrong with mine. I cant get stable readings and hoses look dirty especially the reagent one.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, 24/7 - 2 Part Solution. My readings with Hanna are stuck at 7,7 in the morning and in the evening.
I don't even get stable values with a reference. Surely this should remain the same repeatedly?
One thing to check is to make sure reagent hose in middle of the sensor. I am having same problem though getting stable numbers.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 47 43.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.4%
Back