Large Angel deaths and issues, stumped (180 some reef)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I sure hope it isn't velvet.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that'll be my next play. I'll probably remove the fish and run fallow for 72 days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing you have to remember is "regular diseases" such as ich, velvet, brook, flukes, etc. etc. are probably just a small percentage of what's really out there. The vast majority of saltwater fish diseases are still unknown to us. Just the most common have been studied/identified.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree humble fish. My tang has characteristic velvet appearance this morning so I'm now treating the dt in copper. I removed all coral and inverts, since this is a fowlr for the most part I will just use cuprasorb as I have in the past with carbon to clean out the cupramine. It's worked in reef tanks in past. I will set up my 55 hospital tank and start qt additions from here out. I've killed lots of fish with this in past but velvet is horrendous. Ich doesn't scare me one bit.

For the record folks, avoiding crappy vendors and sticking with divers den could prevent this with 99% certainty. Petco was my big mistake: I've had ich for years in my tanks without issue. But in this case, I was wrong. Velvet is no joke and it makes perfect sense now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME & O; you cannot save a fish with velvet without doing at least one formalin bath prior to copper/CP treatment. FW dip will buy you some time, but it's not potent enough to clear a fish's gills of velvet.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, with full time grad school by evening and afternoon after 1 pm, part time work, and stay at home dad for a 1 year old by am, afternoon, and weekend, I don't have time to do much but dose cupramine.

The only fish that I may lose is my tang, the others have been living in it for some time and are showing literally no symptoms.

I do have formalin though i will try tonight while the family is sleeping to catch him and give him a dip but my guess is that he's too far gone anyhow

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes some sense though as I've had wrasse and some chromis survive full blown velvet about 8 years ago without any symptoms at all, but my tangs and over inhabitants were wiped.

My maroon clown, mag foxface, my four wrasses, lawnmower blenny and I'm forgetting someone else but they are acting completely asymptomatic at this point. My cleaner wrasse scratches occasionally and the foxface had cloudy eye for a few days but is doing well somehow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: have not lost a single fish in weeks. Cupramine is taking care of the issue.

All my Angels and even a moorish idol are fat and happy.

Watch out for this strain of velvet folks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back