LEDBrick - DIY LED Pendant with Pucks

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can correlate coloration upticks in euphyillia from fluorescence in my experiments. It’s worth dumping a lot of energy into this area of the spectrum even if it’s inefficient and costly. Ive had some interesting long term tweaks from even higher energies on some SPS corals as well, but it’s not an immediate effect.
You will get most coral fluorescent color excitement with 450nm to ~400nm. Being able to fine tune as many spectrum between 450nm-400nm is key to a lot of unique coral coloration. With ReeFi Duo Extreme, you can fine tune control 470nm, 450nm, 435nm, 420nm, and 400nm, along with 4 other wide spectrums. I have yet to see other reef lighting that can bring out colors from these rare hammers, torches, and rainbow brain.

This picture taken without any color filters or saturation boost, fine tuned with ReeFi Duo Extreme:
FB_IMG_1572480894161.jpg
I'm curious if this also means the same spectrum is best for their growth and long term sustainability. I have head several folks optimize for different things at different phases of the tank. I definitely think there a huge benefit to know the species specific best coloration spectrum. How are these corals doing now? Any observations on their growth?

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if this also means the same spectrum is best for their growth and long term sustainability. I have head several folks optimize for different things at different phases of the tank. I definitely think there a huge benefit to know the species specific best coloration spectrum. How are these corals doing now? Any observations on their growth?

I've had those hammers from 5-7months now. I can't tell exactly how much their skeletons have grown since they are wall hammers, but their flesh have grown so much that I had to relocate the large bubble, regular brain, 3 other hammers, and 2 torches to another tank. Personally, I rather have best color even if that means slower growth as I'm running out of spaces in my tanks.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! Hoping the best for you! Your work is top notch. Would these upcoming plans affect availability of the arrays for DIY? Just curious because I have the Pro arrays right now but I’d be interested in eventually snagging the Gleam arrays.

Patiently waiting for this as well. Current acro star pucks are fantastic.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had those hammers from 5-7months now. I can't tell exactly how much their skeletons have grown since they are wall hammers, but their flesh have grown so much that I had to relocate the large bubble, regular brain, 3 other hammers, and 2 torches to another tank. Personally, I rather have best color even if that means slower growth as I'm running out of spaces in my tanks.

Glad you're having good luck with wall hammers. I've tried to nurse injured ones back from other tanks and never succeeded. Fantastic colors :)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8 year update. I almost killed all of the LEDbrick units due to a dinoflagellate-induced-light outage. Upon firing up the lights three days later, I had neglected to consider that being fully powered down, no heat was being produced anywhere, and condensation combined with 8 years of salt spray had worked its way into everything. Firing up, I got a nice bout of zap zap flicker flicker nothing. Oh no!

(The main tank is in a period of half-teardown and cleanout and reboot- its had 15 years of continued operation and the sand bed had gotten to dire straits amongst other imbalances, so no tank pictures)

When I had first built them, I didn't do any real control for salt spray, air, condensation, etc. The PCBs sit right in the air flow, and the case fit was never really designed. Going forward, remember to conformally coat all the boards to avoid this very issue.

Anyway, one of the lights as fine, because its logic part remained powered up due to an earlier salt spray mishap which exploded the 24V->12V regulator sometime at the start of the pandemic, which I bodged fixed with a 12V wall-wart. How bad does the salt spray get? Well, bad...

IMG_1720.jpg

Yikes. Amazed anything works after all. And this is the working unit, since it never had water condense on it.

Other units didn't look _as bad_, but were non-functional due to numerous shorts across the board from salt. Amazingly not an amazing amount of corrosion.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

Well, I'm happy to report that I managed to save 2 of the 3 units by doing nothing but giving multiple passes in the ultrasonic cleaner, with an alternating routine of Branson EC and just RODI water - about 5 washes with changing the solution after each pass to not let salt concentrate, followed by a drying pass in an elevated temperature (about 60C).

And... success. And they look a whole lot better and almost like new.

IMG_1723.jpg

Unit #3 had a hard failure and the 12V regulator also wouldn't come up. Unlike the bodged unit still running, the board was salvageable, but the failure eventually came to a shorted ceramic capacitor and an inductor which also had shorted internally (so its basically a wire). A quick repair job later with a similar small but not exact set of components:

IMG_1730.jpg

So, whats next? I need to give the boards another clean and give them a quick coating of conformal coating before reinstalling, and then, actually think about replacing them sometime this year. I have some ideas, for the next post...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back