Lets talk about Carbon dosing: By Aquaph8

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so if you add kalk. The high ph environment does not lend itself to bacterial growth

This is true, but that wasn't the question asked. It was just vinegar/vodka added to the ro and the answer is No. The vinegar is going start getting broken down by bacteria in your ATO and will not be as effective as adding to the tank directly.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent attention to detail. I would not attempt it w/o running kalk in the top off.

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question: i travel between two places during the week. Mon-Fri i can manually dose vinegar appropriately and Sat-Sunday will have to skip. i understand that if i skip or forget one or two dosages, i can not make up what i missed over the weekend. so with that said, would i still be a good candidate for carbon/vinegar dosing in this case? the automatic dosing system is outside of my range right now, therefore purchasing one is out of the question.

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question: i travel between two places during the week. Mon-Fri i can manually dose vinegar appropriately and Sat-Sunday will have to skip. i understand that if i skip or forget one or two dosages, i can not make up what i missed over the weekend. so with that said, would i still be a good candidate for carbon/vinegar dosing in this case? the automatic dosing system is outside of my range right now, therefore purchasing one is out of the question.

Your only way to do it would be a dosing pump. Doing it manually, would build up bacteria and kill it on a weekly basis. It probably wouldn't even give you any benefits dosing 2 days.

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your only way to do it would be a dosing pump. Doing it manually, would build up bacteria and kill it on a weekly basis. It probably wouldn't even give you any benefits dosing 2 days.

i intend to do it for 5days instead of 2. does that change the outcome?

Mason Dixon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought bacteria in the topoff container will use up the vinegar before it makes it into the tank?

I'm using a BRS 1.1ml doser at 2.5ml of vinegar per hour for a 135g heavy stocked tank and no algae issues at all.

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought bacteria in the topoff container will use up the vinegar before it makes it into the tank?

I'm using a BRS 1.1ml doser at 2.5ml of vinegar per hour for a 135g heavy stocked tank and no algae issues at all.

The bacteria dies when it hits salt water and causes nitrates. Dosing directly is the only way.

ATLJonathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing 1ml daily of 80 proof vodka for 5 days and my nitrates doubled from 1 to 2, my phosphates slightly down. I have 500 gallons of water volume, and it is a supplement to a reactor full of BioPellets. My BioPellets have been good for a nitrate level or 1.0, but not lower. I would like to reduce water changes so I am looking for ways to maintain the quality of my water for longer periods of time without water changes. If I had a larger BioPellet reactor, I probably would just add a couple of more cups of biopellets. Thus the idea to try a tiny amount of Vodka.

Well it worked, two days later nitrates and phosphates close to zero. Seem the small Vodka dose to supplement the bio-pellets is working very well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who all is still dosing Vodka?

William78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have a question, I have a 90 gallons tank I want to start dosing vodka, vinegar, sugar mix in a drip method how many drops by minute should I setup like this , or if I add it by ml how much I have a serynye it say 1ml and up till 10ml only so some people post here about a numbers 0.1ml is that the same ?? In 1ml

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found vinegar dosing to be very effective for nitrate reduction. I still use GFO to keep my phosphates under control.

I echo those that say go slow. I had a big bacterial bloom that made my SPS made when I got a little to aggressive with my vinegar dosing. I also had some problems with cyano when I dosed vinegar/ethanol combo. I will use it again, I will just start it earlier and be much more patient in my dose increases.

William78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't know how much I'm supposed to dose?? For 90 gallons

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back