Lets talk about coral placement and when to move one..

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, lets talk coral placement and when to move one. What makes you decide where to put a particular frag? Vague suggestions of high light or low light may help you start, but someone might think >300PAR is high light and someone else might that that would be closer to 500PAR.

What do you use to determine it's happy? How, and when do you decide that might have picked the wrong spot and move it?

Polyp extension? Encrusting? Growth on the tips? Should these be visible in a day, a week, a month? If there is no growth in say one month, do you try another spot?

I know there is no clearcut cookbook here, but what have you (people who are successfully growing AND coloring up Acros) using to guide yourself to attain the best outcome?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, lets talk coral placement and when to move one. What makes you decide where to put a particular frag? Vague suggestions of high light or low light may help you start, but someone might think >300PAR is high light and someone else might that that would be closer to 500PAR.

What do you use to determine it's happy? How, and when do you decide that might have picked the wrong spot and move it?

Polyp extension? Encrusting? Growth on the tips? Should these be visible in a day, a week, a month? If there is no growth in say one month, do you try another spot?

I know there is no clearcut cookbook here, but what have you (people who are successfully growing AND coloring up Acros) using to guide yourself to attain the best outcome?
I start all of my corals, at the lowest point of the tank where it has the less light, and gradually move them up from there, because I have very high intensity lighting in my tank. Depending on how they look week per week tells me where they should go in my tank.

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start all of my corals, at the lowest point of the tank where it has the less light, and gradually move them up from there, because I have very high intensity lighting in my tank. Depending on how they look week per week tells me where they should go in my tank.
Have you ever had a coral that looked worse every time you tried to move it up?

You say depending on how they look you move them. So, if it browned out would you move it up or down? After 4 weeks if you saw no change (growth) would you move it or wait more? If you put it in a new spot and noticed it had less polyp extension that before would you wait another day, week, or just decide it wasn't happy there and move it to another spot right away?

I'm sure there is a real art to this. Assuming most serious aquarists shoot for similar parameters, and stability, that leaves a few other variables. Maturity of system, flow, coral placement, feeding, and lighting. Seems to be the one variable that is most likely to change in an established system when adding a new piece is the placement of the coral itself.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 if the coral has polyp extension reaching to the light that’s a sign

2 if it’s retracted too much light or too much flow or something may be irritating it

3 i’ve never had a coral brown

4 if your parameters are perfect PH, temperature, alkaline calcium, magnesium, etc.

5 corals can adapt to lots of par levels if you just stop touching then

6 yes I’ve had corals not look happy no matter where I put them most cases it’s because something else is at play like shrimp snail or fish are bugging it. Or not use to my tank temperature etc

7 my tank has low par starting at 20 par all the way up to 900 par from left to right with rock work protruding out of my water. I go from left to right with placement of corals not up and down

8 I move my corals inch by inch every week till I find a sweet spot left to right.

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 if the coral has polyp extension reaching to the light that’s a sign

2 if it’s retracted too much light or too much flow or something may be irritating it

3 i’ve never had a coral brown

4 if your parameters are perfect PH, temperature, alkaline calcium, magnesium, etc.

5 corals can adapt to lots of par levels if you just stop touching then

6 yes I’ve had corals not look happy no matter where I put them most cases it’s because something else is at play like shrimp snail or fish are bugging it. Or not use to my tank temperature etc

7 my tank has low par starting at 20 par all the way up to 900 par from left to right with rock work protruding out of my water. I go from left to right with placement of corals not up and down

8 I move my corals inch by inch every week till I find a sweet spot left to right.
Sweet - useful insights. Thanks for sharing your methods and experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back