Lettuce Nudibranch going to the surface at night

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every night my lettuce nudibranch goes to the surface. He is the only one who does this. The other tank mates are a barnacle blenny, a dwarf hermit crab, several snails, and a coco worm. Should I be worried about my oxygenation?

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They generally like to be high up when the lights go out regardless of how oxygenated the water is, I think it's instinctual. I am not sure if it's an instinct related to avoiding benthic nocturnal predators or to increase oxygen when photosynthesis isn't happening from their stolen chloroplasts. As long as he's not out of the water and none of the snails are panicking to get to the surface I think it's really normal from what I've seen.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kleptoplasts off their sugar rush want to go to the light, and they know the light is high in the tank normally.

poltergeist stay away from the light GIF

OP
OP
kazeespada

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They generally like to be high up when the lights go out regardless of how oxygenated the water is, I think it's instinctual. I am not sure if it's an instinct related to avoiding benthic nocturnal predators or to increase oxygen when photosynthesis isn't happening from their stolen chloroplasts. As long as he's not out of the water and none of the snails are panicking to get to the surface I think it's really normal from what I've seen.
Awesome. Thanks for letting me know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back