Life-time GHL ION probe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What was the life-time of your ION probe?

• 0 months (never worked)

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 0-1 month

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 1-2 months

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 4-5 months

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • +6 months

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Reuben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much can we actually trust the performance report of the GHL Ion director?

This is what my probe is reporting after a year and a half, i was thinking it was time to replace the probe now since it said that they should last 6-18 months when i purchased it (i have near perfect parameters so expecting closer to 18months) but was struggling to find a vendor with them leading me to this thread.

I'm honestly shocked both by how we now are expected to replace the sensors so much more often (raising the cost by a lot!) , but also confused by how my probe can give me such a good performance report after this long.

My values are reasonably close to ICP tests (don't really care about exact numbers, just that my water is stable, and my KH director keeps things in check there)

Should i replace my sensor or should i just be happy its still working this well. What has changed with the sensors making them lose so much of their lifespan or can this just be attributed to clean water not gunking it up, can i expect the same kind of lifespan on future probes assuming my water stays the same?

1691403483798.png

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much can we actually trust the performance report of the GHL Ion director?

This is what my probe is reporting after a year and a half, i was thinking it was time to replace the probe now since it said that they should last 6-18 months when i purchased it (i have near perfect parameters so expecting closer to 18months) but was struggling to find a vendor with them leading me to this thread.

I'm honestly shocked both by how we now are expected to replace the sensors so much more often (raising the cost by a lot!) , but also confused by how my probe can give me such a good performance report after this long.

My values are reasonably close to ICP tests (don't really care about exact numbers, just that my water is stable, and my KH director keeps things in check there)

Should i replace my sensor or should i just be happy its still working this well. What has changed with the sensors making them lose so much of their lifespan or can this just be attributed to clean water not gunking it up, can i expect the same kind of lifespan on future probes assuming my water stays the same?

1691403483798.png
Reading this note, I kept thinking ‘how did you even get a probe and furthermore still have it working?’ I don’t think there’s enough people with probes in these forums to answer your questions unfortunately. Also we don’t know if GHL actually thinks the probe life is less now or they are just hedging their bets with cutting the warranty down significantly .

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it is planned obsolescence, it's going to leave the door open for competition.
I highly doubt that it is planned obsolesce, and would lean more towards a reasonable average based on their internal testing over the last year. If they came out and said 24 months and people had weak probes after 11, then there would be another black eye.

So hopefully, lowering expectations instead of overpromising. I would like to think that being built in house, that there is a better grip on quality control as well.

Reading between the lines, there are likely a LOT of units that were sold and a LOT of pre-orders where the money is already spent. So GHL has a hole to climb out of (money and goodwill) and the investment in a pick-place and reflow line indicates that they are serious about making this work. It also means that they will need to focus on RMR (reagents, probes, etc.) to help offset the cost and right the ship.

I suspect that once these things start appearing stateside we will hear good things. I just opted to go a different route based on recurring cost and the fact that I had not pre-ordered. Time will tell and I am hopeful those of you already invested get what you have waited so long for.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates on this post from Jul 24th?

In case there was a delay with that air freight shipment this week (you never know) I bring these sensors PERSONALLY in my luggage when I fly this Saturday from Germany to our US warehouse!

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sensors have arrived into the US and continue shipping this week.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this post from Jul 24th?

In case there was a delay with that air freight shipment this week (you never know) I bring these sensors PERSONALLY in my luggage when I fly this Saturday from Germany to our US warehouse!
I have received tracking for my replacement sensor and hope to swap it in later this week.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received a my ION Director Replacement Probe with a letter stating that it took longer than expected to send these out and GHL cannot be sure if the lifespan of the probe has been compromised. I installed and recalibrated everything and the first 4 test have failed with bad sensor performance. Give me a f$%cking break already. What a horrible experience this has been with this device.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received a my ION Director Replacement Probe with a letter stating that it took longer than expected to send these out and GHL cannot be sure if the lifespan of the probe has been compromised. I installed and recalibrated everything and the first 4 test have failed with bad sensor performance. Give me a f$%cking break already. What a horrible experience this has been with this device.

Did you do the 30 minute soak in water, followed by 12 hours in the device before the first test?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is an interesting letter to include.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the 30 minute soak in water, followed by 12 hours in the device before the first yep, not my first rodeo with this device unfortunately. Ran through priming, flushing testing. I’m running a few more test since this device has been sitting for years. But I am not hopeful. Pretty disappointed with this product for a long time. I really want it to work…

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance your reference fluids had evaporation? Did you get the new firmware and register the probe? And... don't take offense to this, but you have A and B hooked up, and not mistakenly the multi reference fluid?

If you haven't already, I'd open a support ticket.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance your reference fluids had evaporation? Did you get the new firmware and register the probe? And... don't take offense to this, but you have A and B hooked up, and not mistakenly the multi reference fluid?

If you haven't already, I'd open a support ticket.
No offense taken. I have upgraded to the latest firmware. I did register using the No serial number provided and the correct agent have been hooked up. I do have sealed reagent from my original purchase so I will try those next. And yes I will open a case with GHL. This is mostly me venting and sharing my experience because it has been horrible.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense taken. I have upgraded to the latest firmware. I did register using the No serial number provided and the correct agent have been hooked up. I do have sealed reagent from my original purchase so I will try those next. And yes I will open a case with GHL. This is mostly me venting and sharing my experience because it has been horrible.
The fresh reagents may be a good thing to try. Also I would repeat the 12 hour soak with new reagents if it doesn't work properly on the first attempt. Evaporation / bacteria may have effected the reagents since they sat opened so long.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fresh reagents may be a good thing to try. Also I would repeat the 12 hour soak with new reagents if it doesn't work properly on the first attempt. Evaporation / bacteria may have effected the reagents since they sat opened so long.
Did you receive a replacement probe as well? Several folks are curious about the new probes so the more feedback the better. If new solutions are required to be used after having waited so long, I hope GHL covers that cost at least.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you receive a replacement probe as well? Several folks are curious about the new probes so the more feedback the better. If new solutions are required to be used after having waited so long, I hope GHL covers that cost at least.
I was sent a replacement probe and two small A and B solutions.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back