Lighting for 55 gallon mix reef

colincardella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I bought one reefled 50 light for my 55 gallon mixed reef. I was recommended to by two by my local fish store. But I only bought one because of the price. Before I bought the second I wanted to know if they were good for 55 gallon tanks.

Thanks for any response or help!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price is a concern, check craigslist or Facebook marketplace for used radion xr15, ai prime, or ai hydra.

You definitely need 2 lights because lights like the one you purchased can only spread about 2ft. You will get a weird spotlight effect where the outer foot of your tank looks completely dark.

I personally am not a huge fan of the red sea lights. Their app kinda sucks and the light doesn't really get the full spectrum daylight look if you want that look. It can only really do a washed out blue look.

OP
OP
C

colincardella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response! Personally I really liked the look. I just wanna make sure that my coral will be okay. Because originally I had a 36-48 inch strip light. I was told that strip lights do not have good surface penetration.

OP
OP
C

colincardella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price is a concern, check craigslist or Facebook marketplace for used radion xr15, ai prime, or ai hydra.

You definitely need 2 lights because lights like the one you purchased can only spread about 2ft. You will get a weird spotlight effect where the outer foot of your tank looks completely dark.

I personally am not a huge fan of the red sea lights. Their app kinda sucks and the light doesn't really get the full spectrum daylight look if you want that look. It can only really do a washed out blue look.
Thanks for your response! Personally I really liked the look. I just wanna make sure that my coral will be okay. Because originally I had a 36-48 inch strip light. I was told that strip lights do not have good surface penetration.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be okay in the center 18-24 inches. The outside 2ft you will not be able to grow any photosynthetic coral. Not enough PAR without a second fixture.

OP
OP
C

colincardella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be okay in the center 18-24 inches. The outside 2ft you will not be able to grow any photosynthetic coral. Not enough PAR without a second fixture.
Thank you a lot for the second response. I was planning on getting a second one. I was just checking to see if the were to small for a 55 gallon.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 36.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 53.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back