Lighting for 55g Mixed Reef

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone! I'm about 4 months into my classroom reef tank that I created for my environmental science and chemistry classes. The tank is a 55g and 48" long. I'm still on a very tight budget (no money from school AND we have a newborn on the way soon). I had transitioned from a freshwater into full marine, so I started with basic freshwater LEDs. I added a single t5 coral grow fixture that has kept the softies I have so far happy, but I'm in need of an upgrade. I had some people say they would donate a fixture to me, but those have fallen through.

So now that I'm looking into purchasing, I'm looking for something suitable for the tank and my corals (anthelia, xenia, GSP, some zoas). When the tank matures some more, I'd love to try out some hard corals too. BRS is running a deal on the Aquamaxx Prism CC II. Anybody have experience with these? Looks like 3 would be best for this size tank, but I might start with 2 for budget reasons.

Any opinions, suggestions, or help is appreciated!

Thank you all!

20240326_085318.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a look at noopsyche lights. They are by far one of the best budget options available.

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would take a look at noopsyche lights. They are by far one of the best budget options available.
I've seen these around and was looking at them also. The Prisms are only $60 each right now, which is why I was strongly considering those.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of the minis for a 48"?

2-4, depending on what you want to keep. If it was an SPS tank, I'd say 4. LPS and softies are probably fine with 2-3. The only thing is that if you prefer a more daylight look, the noopsyche minis are very blue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back