Lionfish question

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve read about 60 threads on the topic. And the opinions range from copper will kill over 50% of Lionfish to it’s safe to use. How would I QT a Lionfish if I can’t use copper? Or can I?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve read about 60 threads on the topic. And the opinions range from copper will kill over 50% of Lionfish to it’s safe to use. How would I QT a Lionfish if I can’t use copper? Or can I?
Having an observation tank setup would be the best route imo. Give the fish a couple weeks to ensure no signs of illness before placing in display. I don't see the reasoning behind treating animals when there are no symptoms in the first place.

Other option would be buying fish that have already cleared this step. Check out drreefsquarantinedfish.com

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish can survive treatment with copper or cp, but will likely die within several monthsto a year later, but likely much sooner. Regardless of what the some internet experts say, these chemicals will damage the lionfish' liver and it will eventually fail. I'm sure you read through some of my threads with pics of liver damage and statistics over 20 years.

Healthy lionfish are very resistant to protozoan diseases, if kept in quality water and fed a proper nutritious diet. They also have a shedding capability to inhibit the attachment. You can keep them in an observational qt, some recommend from 45-60 days, I do 30 days and have never had an issue of transfer. You can also use hyposalinity, check out a sticky thread in the disease forum of how to do it if you are unfamiliar. If you do hypo, careful monitoring of ammonia and ph it absolutely necessary or you will get into deep trouble.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back